Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Cow moose, hunt of a lifetime (WITH Pictures lol)

Congrats! Great job being persistent. It’s amazing how things work out once a person admits that they can’t do it themselves and need God.
Post up a pic of the rug when it’s complete. Hoping to take my dad on a cow moose hunt in a couple years and considering a rug if we’re successful. I’ve just never seen a moose rug!
Moose rug would have to be heavy! The hide seems to weigh 100 pounds. I use mine for coyote bait and they will gnaw and chew and drag to around for about three weeks

Congrats! Great job being persistent. It’s amazing how things work out once a person admits that they can’t do it themselves and need God.
Post up a pic of the rug when it’s complete. Hoping to take my dad on a cow moose hunt in a couple years and considering a rug if we’re successful. I’ve just never seen a moose rug!
I feel incredibly blessed after the season and I will definitely post the Euro Cow Moose Head and Rug pictures so people can check out something that probably does not happen frequently.

Moose rug would have to be heavy! The hide seems to weigh 100 pounds. I use mine for coyote bait and they will gnaw and chew and drag to around for about three weeks
That is a really great idea I might have to try that with an elk hide sometime, a coyote chew toy. The hide felt like same weight as one of the quarters. Definitely only happened due to close proximity to the truck.

Way to keep with it. Its crazy how much emotion can be tied up in a once in a life time hunt only to come rushing out at certain times along the journey. Good job.

Congratulations! I had a water pipe issue that crept up out of nowhere in mid-September. Had to tear apart a wall and part of the ceiling in my daughters bedroom. Took about 2 weeks out of my season to tear it apart, fix it, dry everything, then put it all back together. Those character builders are an opportunity for our families to see where are priorities truly are no matter what. Cool to see that you were richly blessed.

Congratulations, I’m sure all that effort makes the meat that much sweeter.
It does, I am not sure if I am an accurate judge of meat quality on my moose, because I think it is the best meat I have ever had lol. I took my time butchering so I saved all the bones for bone broth. All the steaks and burger you could want, with four different ham cuts. About a dozen bone in roasts. Took me four days to eat the heart. Moose hearts are gigantic compared to deer and cow elk. In five years, I might be spending the money to go to new found land and repeat another hunt.

It does, I am not sure if I am an accurate judge of meat quality on my moose, because I think it is the best meat I have ever had lol. I took my time butchering so I saved all the bones for bone broth. All the steaks and burger you could want, with four different ham cuts. About a dozen bone in roasts. Took me four days to eat the heart. Moose hearts are gigantic compared to deer and cow elk. In five years, I might be spending the money to go to new found land and repeat another hunt.
I agree on the quality and taste. I had a few local friends come knocking saying they heard I killed a Shiras, lol. All have all the elk and whitetail they care to eat each year.
My success took me to Alberta a few years later. That bull was excellent as well...

Once in a lifetime Cow Moose Hunt

This is my first time completing a hunt report. Most people say that hunting cow moose is easy. This was far from my experience. I drew a cow moose tag and was one of five to draw this tag. I was fortunate because the hunting unit was only a half hour from my house.

Scouting for cow moose was false advertising. I saw cow moose almost every day during the September archery season. They usually liked to feed along the south side of the ridges and along the spines near the aspen chutes. Big black shadows just slowly feeding like clockwork, they could care less about hunters pretending to be elk running around the woods with a bow.

Hunting opening day and day one of my hunt coincided with the bull elk rifle opener and within the first hour I heard about 6 shots in the area and maybe two dozen throughout the day. With those shots all the easy to see moose that I had glassed during the archery season just vanished into thin air. I hiked a total of 8 miles that day.

more to come.

View attachment 164556View attachment 165223
Very nice!

Congrats!. I had a cow moose tag in 2016 and had to eat it. You are right, they are not a slam dunk.
Kinda of crazy, but fish and game just suggested eliminating all moose cow tags in the region for 2021. So I am feeling very blessed to have had that opportunity.

Congrats! I’m looking forward to pictures of the rug. I killed a bull elk this year and caped out the entire thing to have the hide tanned. I think hides make some of the best trophies but you don’t see many people using them.

Congrats on the moose!

Congrats! I’m looking forward to pictures of the rug. I killed a bull elk this year and caped out the entire thing to have the hide tanned. I think hides make some of the best trophies but you don’t see many people using them.

Every year I keep telling myself that I should keep hides but I always forget... It'd be nice to have moose, whitetail, mule deer, etc. My brother did it for his first deer, it was a doe so he figured he'd keep the hide, it looks great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back