Cow Elk Hunt Beginner

Prairie Rambler

I'll begin with I have never elk hunted before. I know most people go to wyoming, montana, colorado, or etc. However, being a SD resident I can hunt the Black Hills national forest and because I don't want to wait 15 years to draw a bull tag I plan to get a cow elk rifle tag this fall. I've been studying the maps and have a unit picked out already that should give me the best chance at success. I was hoping that I could get some pointers from some more seasoned elk hunters on here.

1) There are 3 seasons for cow elk in the zone I'm looking at Oct 16-31st, Dec 1-15th, and Dec 16-31st. Which is the optimal season? I'm leaning towards Dec 16-31st, hoping for snow for tracking/spotting elk.

2) What kind of areas should I be looking for when scouting with online maps and scouting on foot?

3) Are cow elk habitual like whitetail doe? If I locate a herd, would I expect to see them in proximity to the same location a week or two later(assuming no drastic changes in weather)?

I have no experience hunting in South Dakota. However, I think I can give you some general answers here.

1: In more mountainous country, elk will be up higher in the early season, more scattered and harder to find. They come down to the lowlands and herd up for the winter, making them easier to find. I'm not sure how that plays out in smaller hills, like yours. I might be tempted to go for the early season, since it seems like there'd be less of a risk of them just relating to private ag fields, where you can't get at them. And, there might still be some bugling, which can be helpful for locating elk.

2: Generally, what I like to see is areas that have open grassy areas, combined with thicker, dark timber (especially timber on the north/east side of hills). If those grassy areas are somewhat hidden, even better. There needs to be some water somewhere around there and I'd check out areas where small streams/seeps flatten out and make small swampy spots. I'd look for that kind of country as far from roads as you can get. Go where no one else wants to.

3: Left alone, they might fall into a pattern like that and ag fields will sometimes make them more patternable, but elk are not like deer. They can and do move long distances if they have a reason to. Your mantra is to "find elk." Each day, you make your best guess and if you find yourself not in the elk.... well, move on until you're back in them.

* Get yourself a cow call that can make both cow and calf sounds. Cows can often be called in short distances.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Great info Dougfirtree! I was going to ask the same questions as well. I am also new to elk hunting and had these same questions.

Great info .
I would certainly find out where they tend to winter before applying for a late season tag. We are in a different situation with private access to hunt cows , but by Dec. we generally can not find a cow on 8,000 private acres because they winter elsewhere.
I would talk with a biologist for the area to see where and when the elk might move down.

Thank you Dougfirtree, I'll keep all of those things in mind. I'll have to look up calling cow elk in, is it similar to calling whitetail does in with a fawn in distress call? And Wytex, I was thinking about getting a hold of a biologist in the area to get a general idea of the elk wintering patterns. Thankfully though in my case, the zone I plan on hunting is 97% public land and last year had a 62% success rate. I've gotta make this one count though, after you draw a elk tag in SD you can't use preference points to draw for that season for 9 years!

Good luck, sounds like you have a good plan.
I've had cows come in to cow calls and bugles, you might want to learn both. A bite and blow cow call is pretty easy to learn.

Good luck, sounds like you have a good plan.
I've had cows come in to cow calls and bugles, you might want to learn both. A bite and blow cow call is pretty easy to learn.

Yes, as is a "hoochie mama" or similar call. I don't find the diaphragm calls too difficult either, but I've been using them for turkeys, for years. Prairie Rambler, it sounds to me like you've got a good hunt ahead of you. Just give it your all and have fun!

Prairie rambler, I know this thread is old but seeing as the apps are open now did you ever get a plan hashed out? I had an archery tag in the big unit last year and my wife had a cow tag in H2H. If want any info for those areas let me know.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacolleen
Back