Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Cow elk 111

I drew a late season cow tag for 111. I also have an antelope tag for 111-115 and have been scouting last month so I feel a little familiar with the area. Wondering if anyone has knowledge on the winter range or general advice on the area for a late hunt. If it's before snow vs after type stuff. Thanks

They do migrate south toward the southern end of the units and on to 221/222. Depending on snow of course. North of McGill is a great place to start.

Thanks, we scouted after my antelope hunt last week and feel good about the duck creek range. We are thinking just outside McGill and then looking on the eastern side if nothing can be spotted through the glass. My dad is 69 and has a bucket list item with his 45/70... We just can't hike too much so hopefully it's more road hunting then climbing mountains. He can climb but I'm the pack mule!

The east side of 111 can be good at times. There are a lot of lower foothills along the Spring Valley that the elk come down into if the snow piles up. You could drive you dad almost the entire length of the mountain on SR 893 glassing into the foothills. Schellbourne Pass on the north end is a good road to get you back to Highway 93, or you could follow it north until it comes out at Alt US 93 just north of Lages Station.
Good luck to you and your dad.

Last edited:
I drew a late season cow tag for 111. I also have an antelope tag for 111-115 and have been scouting last month so I feel a little familiar with the area. Wondering if anyone has knowledge on the winter range or general advice on the area for a late hunt. If it's before snow vs after type stuff. Thanks
O.P. did you harvest an Elk ?

Ugh another one of those who came here looking for info only never to be heard from again. Hasn't been back since Aug. of 2017. :mad:
I have tried to help several people that have never given any feedback after the hunt. I just gave a guy some actual coordinates for a unit that I will not be going back to and never even got an acknowledgement. I am done. They can figure it out on their own, like I did!

I have noticed that a lot, guys asking for help/info here on hunts and then never reply later as too whether they harvested an animal or not,really frustrating that they cant take the time to reply back or say Thank You !.

I just spent two days scouting area 111. I’ve hunted this area for several years now and am quite familiar with it. I didn’t see one single elk in the usual areas (Duck Creek, Spring Valley, Cooper Canyon/Mt, Success Loop). Did a ton of glassing in all these areas, no joy. Old fellow at the campground said there’s a big herd in Cave Valley, but not in Area 111. I spotted one medium sized bull in the fields north and west of Lajes Jct. Anyone have any suggestions on where else I may need to look? I appreciate the help.

Drove the loop 2 weeks ago after fishing in Cave lake,which is 1/3 full as it was drained due too the dam having problems,we also scouted the area and only saw a doe and her fawn,that's it in 3 days we were there.

Drove the loop 2 weeks ago after fishing in Cave lake,which is 1/3 full as it was drained due too the dam having problems,we also scouted the area and only saw a doe and her fawn,that's it in 3 days we were there.
I must have seen the same two does right at the Elk Flat campground. LOL Didn’t see any other deer the whole time.

I must have seen the same two does right at the Elk Flat campground. LOL Didn’t see any other deer the whole time.
That's all we saw,and we spotted for 3 days.We also hunted for Sage Grouse in area 131,and for the first time in 30 years of hunting them I didn't see even 1 grouse in 4 gays of hunting,the area was bone dry.

Personally I think this is going too be a very bad hunting year in Nevada.
The only Elk we saw was on our way back too Caliente on the west side of the road from Muleshoe (area 22) turn off,about 30 Elk eating in the HUGE fenced farm field,there were a few trucks stopped on the side of the road glassing them .

Personally I think this is going too be a very bad hunting year in Nevada.
The only Elk we saw was on our way back too Caliente on the west side of the road from Muleshoe (area 22) turn off,about 30 Elk eating in the HUGE fenced farm field,there were a few trucks stopped on the side of the road glassing them .
I saw that herd as well. There was an absolute MONSTER bull out there chasing the cows around. I hope they migrate north very soon.

They are not leaving that property,except maybe after dark,and returning before day break.

They have to leave sometime. Something will spook them out of there, a predator or a tractor I’d say.

I just spent two days scouting area 111. I’ve hunted this area for several years now and am quite familiar with it. I didn’t see one single elk in the usual areas (Duck Creek, Spring Valley, Cooper Canyon/Mt, Success Loop). Did a ton of glassing in all these areas, no joy. Old fellow at the campground said there’s a big herd in Cave Valley, but not in Area 111. I spotted one medium sized bull in the fields north and west of Lajes Jct. Anyone have any suggestions on where else I may need to look? I appreciate the help.
We saw the herd in the field right by Lage's junction in 2018. It was the first week of Nov. and there was about 50 head and 2 pretty good size bulls just lounging in the early afternoon.
They have to leave sometime. Something will spook them out of there, a predator or a tractor I’d say.
Even if a tractor spooks them off, they won't go far for very long. They know they have feed and water right where they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back