Cow calls

Brachii

Wife got me a cow call for Christmas. Was curious if there’s any benefit to using it during a cow elk hunt. Anyone have any success doing it? Kinda like a “hey lady, there’s more girls over here, no need to be afraid” kinda thing or if it’s really only good to lure in bulls?

Cows and calf’s talk constantly to each other. Just practice up and learn what to say and it can definitely work. Elk are herd animals catch one away from the herd and they are pretty easy to call in.

Wife got me a cow call for Christmas. Was curious if there’s any benefit to using it during a cow elk hunt. Anyone have any success doing it? Kinda like a “hey lady, there’s more girls over here, no need to be afraid” kinda thing or if it’s really only good to lure in bulls?

I am a relative newbie but called my cow in this fall.

I personally only use cow calls, even when I am deer hunting these days. I have stopped many bucks mid exit with a sqweek.

I had a herd bust on me this year during 2nd rifle in Colorado. Was pretty thick woods and they just heard noise from my buddies behind me, so they hadn't smelled us thankfully. I made a few cow calls and the herd gathered back around me. I was able to take a cow at 30 yards. I would say cow calls work as well, if not better than, bugles.

I had a herd bust on me this year during 2nd rifle in Colorado. Was pretty thick woods and they just heard noise from my buddies behind me, so they hadn't smelled us thankfully. I made a few cow calls and the herd gathered back around me. I was able to take a cow at 30 yards. I would say cow calls work as well, if not better than, bugles.

I’ve always figured that scenario would work. Here in the east in the fall it’s crazy easy to call back in turkeys if you bust the flock up. I’ve found a lot of similarities between elk and turkey hunting and I love them both.

I call in cows every year really close when calling for bulls in archery.They seem to always want company.Guarantee if you make lost calls eventually one will respond.Elknuts has great audio of actual elk sounds.Worth the money to buy his merchandise.He has a forum that has a lot of calling imfo

They work great on cows too, I've called in lots of cows that way, that calf bleat will call a cow right in. And you might get to see a nice bull depending on the time of year. I've always got the cow call around my neck.

Back