Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Cow Calls

esracerx

I've searched a little and have gotten some good info on old threads. Our elk trip starts in a few weeks and one member our group who after 5 years (this is our 6th year getting tags) has a reluctance to learn any call except the hoochie and the cowgirl. He's put me on a quest to find him a call that's easy to use. Both the hoochie and the cowgirl are easy to use, but both have their faults in my opinion.

I have never liked the sound that the bite and blow calls like the cowgirl. Perhaps it's just me, but it just sounds funky.From what I remember the bull hooker sounded better, but I haven't heard it in a while and it looks like I misplaced it. The hoochie, it works but it sounds the same time after time.

I'm partial to any open reed and any diaphragm call. They take a bit to get the hang of though. I like the carltons, but also have the hyper lip, and one by bugling bull. Most of my diaphragm calls I get from bugling bull. Any brands you guys like for a guy that refuses to learn diaphragm and open reed calls? I'm sure he could figure it out, but he refuses to even practice.

so you call in bulls for him and he doesn't have to do much calling work for anybody else doesn't sound very fair but anyways i feel with bugling bull game calls you cant do wrong i have the matriarch open read and is the most elky call I've ever heard.

so you call in bulls for him and he doesn't have to do much calling work for anybody else doesn't sound very fair but anyways i feel with bugling bull game calls you cant do wrong i have the matriarch open read and is the most elky call I've ever heard.

Glad someone else feels the same way the other 3 of us feel. Unfortunately he's my dad so what can you do? He got a 5x5 a few years ago and he had the hoochie. I was on the same bull cow calling a couple hundred yards yards away. Bull was bedded, but kept answering my calls. I was down wind, my dad upwind. The wind shifts and the bull shut up. He swears it was looking for his hoochie. So now because he got one to come in with the hoochie thats all he needs.

Am I the only one that doesn't like the sound that comes out of the cowgirl? I know it freezes up with moisture easily, but even if that wasnt an issue I dont care for the sound much.

Like already said can't go wrong with Bugling Bull game calls. Easy to learn and they've got videos to help on their website. Plus Rockie's house got burnt in one of the Idaho fires. Would be nice to help him rebuild.

Like already said can't go wrong with Bugling Bull game calls. Easy to learn and they've got videos to help on their website. Plus Rockie's house got burnt in one of the Idaho fires. Would be nice to help him rebuild.

I saw that! Man does that suck. Heart sinks when you hear stuff like that. Just bought some diaphragm calls from him the other day. I already have their Who's yrr daddy and trophy wife calls. I really like having a lot of calls. Even if I leave them in camp. I always seem to lose a few, especially the Carltons. No place to put a string around.

I like having a few different calls too. Not sure if theres any truth to it but it makes me feel like I'll sounds like a few different cows rather than one cow over and over again.

I lost my touch with diaphram calls.
Just use reed calls now,just cow calls.
I usually have several and mix them up.
Scery,Carltons,Primos,& Chappels.... are my favorites.
I'm pretty good with just my mouth now...............I can make call sounds in close.
I can stop them with a eeeehooww.

No bed spring squeeky Hoochie tho...lol

Last edited:
My favorite is the Bugling Bull Matriarch cow call. It is really easy to use, very realistic and projects really well.

Most accurate cow call will come from a latex reed. Abe and Sons sounds good but is tough to get right. Easiest and about as good as you can get from an easy to use call is the Elk Inc rubber band call. I wouldn't get too twisted up with a cow call. Call bulls by talking to the cows as another bull. Joel Turner lays it out well.

Most accurate cow call will come from a latex reed. Abe and Sons sounds good but is tough to get right. Easiest and about as good as you can get from an easy to use call is the Elk Inc rubber band call. I wouldn't get too twisted up with a cow call. Call bulls by talking to the cows as another bull. Joel Turner lays it out well.

I saw that Elk Inc call but have no idea how it works. Can you give me any insight on it??

It's a bite n blow call but instead of using a duck call external plastic reed, it uses a stretched rubber band. You have two ends and you can tune each end. The band will vibrate with less air so you can get the soft, relaxed cow sounds and still get the nasal sound on the back end.

Are horney bulls that picky? I doubt the quality of the sound is less important that having a reliable call. I had a bull bugle back 3x to a howling wolf last year. Seems funny now, but my friend and I were sleeping in tents in between them at the time.

Based on multiple recommendations I picked up a Bugling Bull Temptress and am practicing now, it seems easy to me and I have seen a ton of good feedback.

Bottom line I imagine the whatever works consistently, but you feel confident blowing, will be the best one for you as the bull won't matter about the tone, etc., but will react more to

The bugling bull temptress is one of my favorites after my reeds.... I have the same issue but it's not my dad it's my 2 buddies one can call a bit but the other is scared to try so it's pretty much me calling all the time while they setup.... I'm over it to be honest

Back