PEAX Equipment

Cow Calling?

SWMontana1

Went hunting this morning... called in "sick" :cool:

Anyways, I started cow calling (estrus click on primos hoochie mama) a bull bugled behind me no more than 150 yards... Since it was still dark I waited a few minutes to call back and called a few more times but never heard from him again......

Later on I was calling some, and in the other direction one bugled and it sounded like he was right on the other side of this lip (and the fence line of course). The bugle was very loud and loooong and kind of whiney.... when he bugled, I answered with a couple estrus hits then it would go silent and I would wait a couple minutes and cow call and he would answer, this probably lasted 30 mins or so... he was so close but it seemed like I was calling a lot more than not...

how often would you call in these situations?? and when you call using the estrus do you just hit it once or multiple times??? (I have been doing it multiple times - not sure if that even works)....

I have been so close to bulls but none of them seem to come all the way in, wind, location and stuff like that is not the problem... so it has to be my calling...???

Help, advice, or what you have encountered would definitely help this amatuer!!!!

Was starting to think my calling was the problem too, but I think its just a wierd year. Ive been bowhunting awhile now and still havent figured elk calling out.

In my opinion if you hear the bull, close the gap as quick as you can. The bigger bulls seem to hang up at 100+ yards waiting for the cows to come in. This happened to us this last weekend. Be a bit more aggressive. Big bulls would rather run from a fight but if you piss them off they will get tired of it just like we do when some one is messing with us. He may grab his cows and try running, keep the pressure on! Every bull is different and they like different sounds. The bull I mentioned prior did not like one of my calls up close so I stopped using it. If you have a partner have him/her slowly walk away down wind calling a bit to create a 100+ yard cushion for the bull to walk through as he looks for (the caller) the cow he hears. You should move up towards him on high alert as his cows will probably be the first thing that might bust you. If by chance you jump his cows squeal at him like you are another bull running his cows. If he does not see or smell you he could run at you like a train or if he is a smaller bull he might sneak in to see if he has a chance at winning the battle. Some one may have better ideas but this has always worked the best for me. Good luck!

Last edited:
Keep giving him what he likes. But you'll have a lot better success if you have someone doing the calling for you that is back 100 yrds. If you don't have any other choice than being the caller and the shooter then it is a whole lot harder. I've found if the bull is standing still and you call within 100 yrds he usually has his hearing radar locked onto your location down to about 3 yards and they usually stop until they can see a cow or decoy. If the bull is walking or feeding when you call his radar accuracy is less and you have a chance of him. It is tough solo but not undo-able.

The biggest thing is you have to have a plan in mind. It seems to me like you were just kind of sitting there hitting the hooch mama and hoping he came in. With no other caller your best option was to locate him and go "stealth" like wingman said. That would have been my option. Judging by the encounters you had it sounded like those bulls had cows which is typical this late in September. He wanted you to come to him. He's not going to leave his harem of multiple cows just to come check out this one cow. Sounds like maybe the first bull had cows and his cows took him away from you where the second herd was comfortable hanging around but not going to you.

Also, I am a big big Primos fan but in my opinion you can't count on the little lines to tell you what you're saying. When I make an estrus whine it is a lot longer then what the hoochie does and a lot more nasally at the end. Basically all you were doing was a mew. Get proficient with mouth calls an open reed calls. If that's not in your arsenal this year then keep using the hoochie but when you hear that bull sound of close its time to shut up and sneak in. It's your only option unless you find a love sick little raghorn or spike that will come in to that call and that call only. Good luck!

Unfortunately I will be the caller and shooter...

Also, it is so dry that the stealth mode is almost impossible (need some moisture and cooler temps!!)

Thanks for all the advice though.... really appreciate and am going to use it tonight and this weekend!

You have to paint a picture for him. Make noise throw rocks break sticks and move around. I like to call in the thick stuf when solo so they have to come and see.

I usually hunt alone, mostly because no one else wants to go were the grizz are. LOL anyway i have had alot of luck at times playing hard to get with a cow call. Sometimes i will let a bull bugle a few times without a responce. It seems like they get mad and come looking. Like what was stated already though every bull is deffrent.

All this advice was exactly what I was looking for!! I actually went out this morning (apparently I have been 'under the weather' this whole week... ha)

I took all of your guys advice and applied it where I could....

I set up a little bit higher giving me space to come down a ridge to where the bulls have been bugling (I had a plan in mind)... I also bought a Lonesome cow call (mouth call), practiced a bit before I went out.

So I started calling and a bull bugled below me so I let him bugle a few times before I answered... I could hear him moving closer. So I called a little bit and then started breaking branches, making noise and actually moving toward him in some real thick stuff. I eventually sat down so I could see a little clearing through the thick branches. I could hear him rustling his way toward me, I wanted to get a little bit closer so I put the stealth on with arrowhead leaves in my path (I slipped my shoes off), went about 15 yards then sat down... The bull was rustling through a small trail that was actually in the thickest of bushes/branches (which I didn't know was there). He was about 10 yards away with no clear shot... he eventually thought something was up and left (not spooked but just left). He was a small rag, 5x5, but I still would have taken him.... and it was definitely a blast having such a close encounter!!

Closest I've been all year...... Thanks for the advice guys!! Hopefully I can catch him this weekend!!

Made a plan, used it, adjusted to what the elk was doing, pulled him into your lap, and made the right decisions all along. That is a great day in the woods. Well done!! That is HUNTING.

BINGO! Now it won't work everytime but at least we got the wheels turning for you LOL. When hunting by yourself it's best to do just like you did. Call then move up so his attention is where you called last. I look forward to hearing the next report!

Is it even possible to cow call a bull away from his single cow or if he has more than one???

Tried it a couple times this weekend... failed miserably. Cows took the bull and ran off. Others bugled back just on the other side of the fence while hanging with their cows, didn't come any closer.

Tried to stealth up on a bull... got within 50 yards (can drill a target at 40 but i'm thinking 30 would probably be my max on an actual bull), he saw me and walked off.

Been into elk everytime I have been out... just haven't caught that break yet. I definitely have bull fever though!! I love being out this time of year; however, I think the actual harvest is going to come in rifle season (as I would have already had 5 or 6 bulls down!)

Your only shot is if you get in real close and throw out some lost or maybe even pleading cow sounds so that bull knows the cow (you) want to be with him and you're close. He can come in quick, wrangle the cow (you) up and head to his other cows.

Also extend your affective range man! My effective range is about 80 but keep it to 60 on elk because so many things can happen while that arrow is in the air and they're big animals. They take one step and have moved 5 feet. Can drill a target at 100.

I killed my bull this year at 55 yards. Clean pass through and the arrow went right where I wanted it to go.

There's nothing that will change their minds if a cow is truly in heat and he's following her. One year I had a bull roaring as he was trailing a cow. He came by me broadside while I was trying my best with cow calls and he didn't even glance my way. He was 15 yards away is all. Even our best efforts aren't going to distract him if he's following the real deal and knows that in a few minutes he might get some tail. It was fun to watch but I still couldn't believe that he wouldn't even look my way at 15 yards. Tunnel vision :D

Back