Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Cow Bison taxidermy estimates

GAdrahthaar

What kind of bill should I expect for a euro skull and a rug style hide with hair on for a cow bison?

thanks

Euro costs seem to be all over the place depending on where you live. I would expect $250-500.

For the rug... if a true rug with felt on the back, and depending on if you keep the face/entire legs, etc, could easily be in the $1500-2000+ range. If you are just looking to tan the hide, probably in the $6-700 range.

Did you draw a tag or going on a ranch hunt? Some good eating either way.

Thanks bambi. I'm thinking just tanned with the fur on so I guess blanket is probably a better word than rug. I wasn't sure about the terminology because sometimes when I say tanned people assume leather. I hadn't even thought about the face and such.

I pulled a UT book cliffs tag. Incredibly excited.

I'd love to hunt bison and have some clothing article made out of it. The robes look pretty mean but seem a bit impractical. Still the second coolest hide use after an elephant hide shooting vest I saw a guy had once.

I'd love to hunt bison and have some clothing article made out of it. The robes look pretty mean but seem a bit impractical. Still the second coolest hide use after an elephant hide shooting vest I saw a guy had once.
I agree, but I figure a bed roll will get legit use and I can always pin it to the wall if I just want to look at it. Maybe a bomber hat would be a good use of some portion.

I would just soft tan the hide if it were me. It'll save you some coin and it looks good hung over a bed or on the wall. Soft tanning is priced per square foot. So really it just depends on the size and how much upcharge your taxidermist adds to the cost. Id expect $800-1200 just for tanning. And euros it all depends. But the $200-$500 is pretty accurate around here.

Only impractical if you don't get the cold we do...a buffalo robe is my dream...but I'm told you need two hides to make one coat.

I would just soft tan the hide if it were me. It'll save you some coin and it looks good hung over a bed or on the wall. Soft tanning is priced per square foot. So really it just depends on the size and how much upcharge your taxidermist adds to the cost. Id expect $800-1200 just for tanning. And euros it all depends. But the $200-$500 is pretty accurate around here.
Thanks ajax. "soft tan" will let me use it as a blanket?

Moyle Tannery does a lot of buffalo hides. Just a basic hide is $458 and a hide including the head is $636.50. I'm leaning toward getting the entire thing tanned when/if I get mine this winter. I figure I can make a hat or something out the the head and use the rest for a blanket.

Bison Ultra | Simply the best. Processing over 2,000 bison hides a year inspired us to develop the Bison Ultra process, a service we provide at a very competitive price thanks to our proficiency. Sophisticated dressing methods yield the lightest and softest bison leather with free-flowing, unmatted, and dust-free hair. Whether for garments or throws, you will be ultrasatisfied with this process and its budget-friendly price.

I would love to have the option. Any choice is a good choice for you. I would love a buffalo coat ala like Robert Redford as liver eating Johnson. The hunt would be the best.

Yeah a soft hair on tan will basically look just like a hide. But it's thinned out and nice and supple. The leather side feels basically like suede.

Moyle does great work and their price is hard to beat.
We have 2 cow bison tanned by them and they are great.
You must salt and dry the hide before shipping and shipping is the big cost.
I'll be getting a bobcat and some other back from Moyle in a month or so.
You will want to hang it somewhere to air out but the tanning is super nice and soft. We also had the face tanned on one cow, that is expensive.

Yeah a soft hair on tan will basically look just like a hide. But it's thinned out and nice and supple. The leather side feels basically like suede.
Much appreciated. This will be the first animal i've had taxidermied by something other than fire ants.

I second Moyle Mink for the bison tanning. Npaden is spot on with the pricing. My wife shot a bull bison a few years back and we sent it to Moyle to be tanned. We're in the process of moving right now, so I don't have any photos, but it turned out great. I cut the hide off just behind the ears, so we paild the $458. We had the skull bettle cleaned at a cost of $350. Good luck on your hunt and please share your post hunt photos here on Hunt Talk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back