MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Covid Poll Question (Elk)

Has the Covid-19 Pandemic effected my ability to apply for hunts?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

jmustard

Hey everyone, I am just curious how this has affected everyone and their ability to apply for hunts. Each state has costs and has had different economic impacts whether its jobs, furloughs, personal illness ect. I am in CA and I am an Emergency Department nurse. While my hospitals had ramped up a ton and prepped for the surge, we have not seen the impact that NYC has seen. That said, I am very fortunate to still be working and have the ability to apply as I want. Anyway, stay safe, follow the guidance and hopefully everyone has a great hunting season.

As an Essential non Medical Employee, I'm grateful for the opportunity to keep working.

Had I been unable, Unemployment and $1200 would not have helped me cash flow and I would have had to use Savings. Then I would not have applied in state and in 3 other states.

The only thing possibly interfering with my hunt in CO this year draw or not is its Demsoc Governor.

Hey everyone, I am just curious how this has affected everyone and their ability to apply for hunts. Each state has costs and has had different economic impacts whether its jobs, furloughs, personal illness ect. I am in CA and I am an Emergency Department nurse. While my hospitals had ramped up a ton and prepped for the surge, we have not seen the impact that NYC has seen. That said, I am very fortunate to still be working and have the ability to apply as I want. Anyway, stay safe, follow the guidance and hopefully everyone has a great hunting season.
+1
e.png

BB.jpg

...not so far. Only applied here @ home & didn't draw so now OTC. Here @ home.

It would be interesting to look under the hood a bit regarding the reasons why some hunters' application strategies are not affected. I suspect the reasons would be all over the map (i.e. Some can apply as residents, some are "essential" workers and haven't had financial repercussions due to missed work, some are financially solid and can absorb an economic downturn, some believe that if even they're currently affected they'll be less affected in the fall, and still others would apply even if they had to spend their last dollar on a tag.😂). In some previous threads over time, some have posited that the only thing that could temporarily halt the increase in western tag applications is a significant economic downturn. We now have that situation, at least in the near term, and it doesn't seem to be having an effect on the applications for states with a deadline occurring after the virus related shutdowns began. I'm thinking of NM and CO specifically (I haven't heard about MT apps). Not that it matters other than to satisfy intellectual curiosity. It's just interesting to watch the increase in applications, regardless of circumstances. I hope I haven't distracted from the OP's purpose. I mean for the comment to accentuate it.

I am an essential non medical who works for a publicly traded company. Friday announcement made that all 401k match froze, hours cut, and vacation freeze til tentative August. Consequently I have retracted my Wyoming application. It stings so bad, not that I still cannot afford it under current financial condition but if any other concessions taken its beans and rice as my daughters college education is most important.

I drew a tag for Montana. If allowed by the state I will go. However, I am self contained in my own trailer and won't stay overnight in a motel this year at all. I have supplies in my truck to safely fill my gas tank, gloves and disenfectant. Thats what I plan to do now, but who knows what will happen between now and season opener.

I am an essential non medical who works for a publicly traded company. Friday announcement made that all 401k match froze, hours cut, and vacation freeze til tentative August. Consequently I have retracted my Wyoming application. It stings so bad, not that I still cannot afford it under current financial condition but if any other concessions taken its beans and rice as my daughters college education is most important.
family first

I was thinking th COVID was going to have an effect on the NM draw odds. This is due to the fact NR have to front mucho dinero and the timing of the country shutting down March 15th. Either way, no tags for me in NM. I was able to hunt spring Black Bear in Idaho with no issues. i sure hope them gas prices hold for the fall!!! haha

In short - No. It hasn't negatively affected my ability to Apply for the hunt I wanted.

I'm retired from Federal service, so fortunately for me I still get my monthly check so it hasn't affected me financially. Actually it's helped me financially to a small degree. Gas is cheaper, I'm not going much of anyplace now to spend money. My wife is still working and she's been stockpiling food and water like there is no tomorrow so we actually have more food in the fridge, freezer and cupboards than normal. I put in for Montana and drew General Elk Combo tag and Archery but I have read online that some who put in for Montana Elk combo didn't draw so I assume Montana Sold out in spite of the Covid19 problems. It's still a little up in the air whether the covid will in the end allow me to hunt but I'm optimistic and believe I'll be hunting in Montana in September.

Seems like everyone has multiple perspectives on this which is super interesting. It's great if you can hunt elk in your home state. Maybe the more impacted portion of the hunting community is the non-resident hunters that would come from out of state. The "guaranteed tag" option will be quite popular in my opinion for a few reasons. Meat in the freezer, opportunity to go hunting with reduced cost and not as much effort in research if hunting close to home. Anytime you can get out is a good time and any hunt is better than no hunt.

Is there a F%$# NO!? :) Will be hunting with my son and dad in AZ, WY and ID all NR tags this year. But... Yes, I am very lucky to be someone who has already worked from home for 20 years. I have multiple people close to me that have been impacted in their jobs and would not be able to make that choice. I hope every hunter out there gets to live out their dreams this year.

Drawing a tag is one thing....being able to hunt the tag this fall could be another matter.

I don't see it not happening. Even Oregon, my home state, full of the most liberal D-Bags in the country has re-opened already for NR hunting and fishing.

The states I mentioned that I'm hunting, I know all want the money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back