Covid buck 2021

wolfpup

FA04569B-A326-4E93-947B-FA684D50ED16.jpegB97B668B-247F-41E6-8F4E-380B299E60FE.jpegSo I was able to snag a reissue 2nd season buck tag. My brother drew a doe tag and we would go up for OTC elk as well. The week before season started both of my kids came down with Covid. Both kids did great and bounced back with no issues. It totally ruined my 8 year olds Halloween plans though. It’s her favorite holiday. I already committed to coming home Sunday to trick or treat with the kids. I can hunt my whole life but not many more years of trick or treating. Well now it seemed even more important to be home Halloween! I went to my unit Friday night and hunted hard saturday and Sunday morning. Headed home for Halloween with my girls. We had a great night in and played a bunch of Halloween themed games since we couldn’t go out. Made great memories. Monday was work but Monday night I starting getting a runny nose. Took a rapid test and sure enough I was positive. Well hell! Tuesday felt pretty crummy but just felt like a head cold by Wednesday morning. Feeling fine with no cough I knew I at least needed to go get the camper. My wife is an RN so I was well equipped and knew what symptoms to watch. I had a pulse oximeter, humidifier, and a nebulizer to keep lungs clear. I felt fine Thursday morning so I went hunting. Promised my wife I would take it easy so a lot of ride the wheeler and park and walk and peek over edges and sit a while in opening. Did that all morning long. I was heading back to the pickup and this buck trots over the ridge. It was a big bodied deer but still had to get the Bino’s on him to confirm a buck. I counted 3 points and said that was enough. I ranged him at 286 and get settled in. He trotted another 50 yards and stopped again in a little depression. One shot and he dropped. I lost him after the shot and didn’t know he dropped right in his tracks so I scanned the area for a few minutes. I knew the trail was close but had no clue how close. Dropped him right in the trail. Doesn’t get much easier than that for a Covid hunt I promised my wife I would take easy. Hunted hard for elk Friday and Saturday and came home Sunday to process my deer. I was wanting to hold out for a mature buck but since my hunt got cut 2 days for covid I opted to fill the freezer the first chance I got. This was the only buck I saw this hunt.

Nicely done. Weather looks quite nice as well! You mentioned you can always hunt though may find the type of hunting funnels down a bit as you approach 60 and in the years after. Your priorities are in the right place to experience family moments while the kids are young. I figure my last hunt will be a spring turkey hunt on level ground not far from where parked the truck.

View attachment 201870View attachment 201869So I was able to snag a reissue 2nd season buck tag. My brother drew a doe tag and we would go up for OTC elk as well. The week before season started both of my kids came down with Covid. Both kids did great and bounced back with no issues. It totally ruined my 8 year olds Halloween plans though. It’s her favorite holiday. I already committed to coming home Sunday to trick or treat with the kids. I can hunt my whole life but not many more years of trick or treating. Well now it seemed even more important to be home Halloween! I went to my unit Friday night and hunted hard saturday and Sunday morning. Headed home for Halloween with my girls. We had a great night in and played a bunch of Halloween themed games since we couldn’t go out. Made great memories. Monday was work but Monday night I starting getting a runny nose. Took a rapid test and sure enough I was positive. Well hell! Tuesday felt pretty crummy but just felt like a head cold by Wednesday morning. Feeling fine with no cough I knew I at least needed to go get the camper. My wife is an RN so I was well equipped and knew what symptoms to watch. I had a pulse oximeter, humidifier, and a nebulizer to keep lungs clear. I felt fine Thursday morning so I went hunting. Promised my wife I would take it easy so a lot of ride the wheeler and park and walk and peek over edges and sit a while in opening. Did that all morning long. I was heading back to the pickup and this buck trots over the ridge. It was a big bodied deer but still had to get the Bino’s on him to confirm a buck. I counted 3 points and said that was enough. I ranged him at 286 and get settled in. He trotted another 50 yards and stopped again in a little depression. One shot and he dropped. I lost him after the shot and didn’t know he dropped right in his tracks so I scanned the area for a few minutes. I knew the trail was close but had no clue how close. Dropped him right in the trail. Doesn’t get much easier than that for a Covid hunt I promised my wife I would take easy. Hunted hard for elk Friday and Saturday and came home Sunday to process my deer. I was wanting to hold out for a mature buck but since my hunt got cut 2 days for covid I opted to fill the freezer the first chance I got. This was the only buck I saw this hunt.
wow nice one

Back