Caribou Gear

Covid-19 - Emerging treatment news thread (no politics, no tin foil hats)

Status
Not open for further replies.
South Dakota is starting to clinical trial, sounds like it is going to be for both sick people and those that have been exposed but not yet shown any symptoms.

jryoung, how is the testing going? Anything you can tell us yet?

I'm clean ;)
On a more serious note once we get a better understanding of what we can communicate I'll provide an update. It seems easy enough we could say something like we've tested X and have had Y% return some sort of positive result.....but nothing is "easy" or very clear right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20200410_064346 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200410_064346 (1).jpg
    914.4 KB · Views: 24
Been a mixed bag so far for this and hydroxyquinolone.
Agreed. My understanding is this is the first clinical study data in the US. I chose that article to share since it contains caveats about the news, including:

The outcomes offer only a snapshot of remdesivir’s effectiveness. The same trials are being run concurrently at other institutions, and it’s impossible to determine the full study results with any certainty
“It’s always hard,” she said, because the severe trial doesn’t include a placebo group for comparison. “But certainly when we start [the] drug, we see fever curves falling,” she said.
“So if it’s true that many of the 113 patients were in this category and were discharged, it’s another positive signal that the drug has efficacy,” he said, adding that it will be important to see more data from randomized controlled studies.
The lack of a control arm in the study could make interpreting the results more challenging.
In scientific terms, all the data are anecdotal until the full trial reads out, meaning that they should not be used to draw final conclusions.

The study estimated that 2.49% to 4.16% of people in Santa Clara Country had been infected with Covid-19 by April 1. This represents between 48,000 and 81,000 people, which is 50 to 85 times what county officials recorded by that date: 956 confirmed cases.

"If I get the infection, how likely is it I'm going to die? That number depends on knowing how many people have had the infection -- not just actively have it now, but have had it and recovered from it," Bhattacharya said.
If 50 times more people have had the infection, the death rate could drop by that same factor, putting it "somewhere between 'little worse than the flu' to 'twice as bad as the flu' in terms of case fatality rate," Bhattacharya said.

Dr. Katz was my wifes PH&E professor. By far more than 20 years later, he is the one educator she talks about the most.
He seems like a very smart and even more level headed guy. Wish we had more like him. He appears to truly have the overall health of America as his number one goal.

Taking account of historical experience, trends in the data, increased number of infections in the population at largest, and potential impact of misclassification of deaths gives a presumed estimate for the COVID-19 IFR somewhere between 0.1% and 0.36%.*

I would stop looking at any information coming out of the States and focus more on South Korea. If any vaccine is going to be developed it will be by them or the Germans. They are actually focused on finding one that will benefit humanity and not shareholders, their leaders won't rush something for political gains, they taking this pandemic seriously and have proper leadership. The sad thing is, that it's at least 12-18 months away. Thousands more will die. If any one is bored though the beaches in Florida are now back open. They're crowded so get there early lol

They are actually focused on finding one that will benefit humanity and not shareholders

I understand your point, but global medical innovation as a whole over the past several decades proves that those two things are not mutually exclusive.

The USS Roosevelt had a crew of around 4,800. Around 600 tested positive, and around 60% that had it showed no symptoms. 5 hospitalized and one death. This appears to demonstrate that the risk to young people is fairly low. Schools and sports leagues should be able to open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back