Covid-19 Data, Models, References - NO DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the largest HMOs in the area is struggling with cash flow due to deferred surgeries/care while preparing/dealing with Covid patients. We have a friend who is a surgeon there and Hospital leadership has asked employees to take a pay cut, and volunteer their time while exposing themselves.
No word yet if if the suits in C-suite are doing the same.

Something nobody seems to be talking about. Anybody think our current economic crisis will likely be worse than 2008? Consider this:

The global economic crisis of 2008, which saw steep unemployment and reduced public-sector healthcare spending, has now been linked to an increase in cancer mortality — an excess of over 260,000 deaths.

Now consider that this current economy could be 2x, 3x, or 10x worse than 2008. The figure above doesn't include all the excess deaths we may see from heart disease, depression, malnutrition, suicide, etc.... But those numbers could be staggering. Just something to think about . I'm not saying how we should move forward but we really should be considering all the future ramifications that these polices will likely have.

Last edited:
Something nobody seems to be talking about. Anybody think our current economic crisis will likely be worse than 2008? Consider this:

The global economic crisis of 2008, which saw steep unemployment and reduced public-sector healthcare spending, has now been linked to an increase in cancer mortality — an excess of over 260,000 deaths.

Now consider that this current economy could be 2x, 3x, or 10x worse than 2008. The figure above doesn't include all the excess deaths we may see from heart disease, depression, malnutrition, suicide, etc.... But those numbers could be staggering. Just something to think about . I'm not saying how we should move forward but we really should be considering all the future ramifications that these polices will likely have.

I’ve talked about it. I just didn’t find a study like that one. When you’re clearing a floor of head and spine injuries to make room for patients that aren’t there, you’re harming people. There are unintended consequences to everything and what we’ve done is very drastic.

Anybody gonna count the murders committed by released prisoners?

Last edited:
The Phoenix New Times is known to be a bit sensational but every word of this article is true.

Nurses, including in the NICU, where they take care of babies born as early as 23 weeks, have been forbidden to wear masks, even if it is their own that they supplied themselves. They are told every morning that the hospital administration won’t tolerate anybody wearing a masks, not because they don’t have them, but because it could alarm and upset people.

Two months ago, you would be disciplined if you didn’t have your mask on at all times if you didn’t get a flu shot.
The only people allowed to wear masks now are people in the room with a confirmed COVID-19 positive patient.

To control access tighter, the hospital has closed all but one entrance too. That sounds like a good idea, until you realize that shift change for a few thousand employees happens at the exact same time and you have nurses from the corona positive adult ICU packed into a hallway like sardines with everybody else.

Two days ago a nurse with asthma that is a single mom of two young children walked off after she was asked to go work in the ICU and not allowed to have PPE.

I’m not really one to complain about businesses making money, but last year was a down year and this company had revenue around $8 billion and paid their CEO over $25 million.

I’d really like to know a little about co-infection. With a death rate between .6% and 2% depending on who you cite, and with the incredible number of people who don’t get very sick, I’d really like to know how many people ALSO had the flu and/or some other respiratory virus at the same time. With MILLIONS of Americans also getting the flu each year, some of those mortalities were infected with both. I’d like to know how many.

I’d really like to know a little about co-infection. With a death rate between .6% and 2% depending on who you cite, and with the incredible number of people who don’t get very sick, I’d really like to know how many people ALSO had the flu and/or some other respiratory virus at the same time. With MILLIONS of Americans also getting the flu each year, some of those mortalities were infected with both. I’d like to know how many.

When it is all over,, a good statistician could make a decent estimate with based off the total number of cases of each disease.

One aspect of the most of the fatalities is that most victims had other medical issues.

When it is all over,, a good statistician could make a decent estimate with based off the total number of cases of each disease.

One aspect of the most of the fatalities is that most victims had other medical issues.

But today it doesn’t even take an expert statistician. Just run both tests when you test for covid, and start seeing if that appears to increase the risk of severe illness.

And, yes, most fatalities have had other serious conditions. That is yet another sign that the virus itself may not be that bad. Usually by the time you have a few serious health conditions you’re fairly old, and by the time you’re 60 you be had most colds and flus so you have some immunity working for you. I’m still very open to the possibility that this is little more than another common cold, just one that none of us are immune to yet.

Last edited:
The cure can’t be worse then the disease.
So what's your answer? Do you really think people are going to frequent restaurants when the death toll continues to climb, and is it responsible to expose your staff to the risks?

Most restaurants in my area are providing carry out. People are still eating out. If you have staff members that don’t want to work fine they don’t have to. I bet the majority of your staff is far more concerned about being able to pay rent or afford groceries.
My opinion would be allow restaurants or the business owners to make that decision not the fed.

Most restaurants in my area are providing carry out. People are still eating out. If you have staff members that don’t want to work fine they don’t have to. I bet the majority of your staff is far more concerned about being able to pay rent or afford groceries.
My opinion would be allow restaurants or the business owners to make that decision not the fed.
What's the point of any laws? You're a cop. Why do we need you? Let people make their own decisions.

What's the point of any laws? You're a cop. Why do we need you? Let people make their own decisions.
You’re really reaching aren’t you. State gov’s are saying pot shops are essential but a wide array of business aren’t.
That is a joke.
I could make my post more emotional if you like. Here I will try it.
How many Father, mother, sons, and daughters are you willing to financially destroy? Cue Sarah McLachlan music. How many small business are willing to cast into financial ruin before we realize the cure can not be worse then the disease?

You’re really reaching aren’t you.

Not at all. It's an honest question, and if you can't answer it hang up your badge.

State gov’s are saying pot shops are essential but a wide array of business aren’t.

No disagreement there.

How many Father, mother, sons, and daughters are you willing to financially destroy?

Have you ever arrested a suspended driver who was going to work so he can pay off his fines? Arrested a guy on a warrant who will now lose his job and therefore can't pay his fines?

How many small business are willing to cast into financial ruin before we realize the cure can not be worse then the disease?

It's not likely a simple binary question and response, nor is it necessarily an apples to apples comparison.

Cool Story. Reminder to donate blood if you can. It's in short supply especially now.

Again your reaching.
How much financial destruction are you willing to take.
It is a simple question. I am not trying to bait you into a straw man. Unlike you.

Again your reaching.
It is a simple question. I am not trying to bait you into a straw man. Unlike you.
Not reaching at all my friend. You didn't answer any of my questions, and that's your choice. No straw mans either. Based on your responses, I'm not sure you really want an objective conversation, but I'll answer your question.

I don't know how you can simply attach dollars to this, because there are so many other questions that need answered in conjunction with this. How much does it cost society if health care systems collapse? What does it cost society if there is widespread illness, burnout, and suicide amongst its health care workers and first responders/EMT personnel? What does the end death told cost us in terms of health care costs, lost productivity, and other ancillary societal costs? Personally, I think it would be irresponsible to simply say at "x" dollars of lost productivity we can no longer try and preserve lives. It's a fluid response and I don't necessarily think there is an absolute right answer. The genie is way out of the bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back