MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

County road now private in Ennis Mt

Doublecluck

Looks like madison county gave longhorn ranch their way. Scratch two more public land sections off the list. Saw about 200 head relaxing in their new closed zone on public land today. Lots of good hunts on that little 1/2 mile section over the past 4 years. Talked to fwp and they advised me to call madison county commissioners. Road now says "not a county road, no public access".. Anyone know what I am talking about???

As I understand it a helicopter can't land on state land, but I wonder what one out of ennis would charge me to fly about 2000 yards and hover a foot off the ground and let us jump out. Is that legal? Pick us up a few days later. It would be well worth it just to show these bastards that we can still access our lands..

Quackillr, can you link to the road on a google map for coordinates? What is the name of the road? Cedar Creek Road?

Last edited:
If all of what you're saying is true, give PLWA a call.. and a donation for that matter.

Quackillr, can you link to the road on a google map for coordinates? What is the name of the road? Cedar Creek Road?

I guess It don't matter to post on the www considering we can't hunt it anymore. Cedar creek rd.

Quackillr, do you have a picture of the sign? I'm looking into records online, already called Gibson from PLWA. Interestingly in June, there are Madison County minutes of a land deal concerning expanding the airport nearby, which involve the Longhorn Ranch.

Quackillr, do you have a picture of the sign? I'm looking into records online, already called Gibson from PLWA. Interestingly in June, there are Madison County minutes of a land deal concerning expanding the airport nearby, which involve the Longhorn Ranch.

I don't have a pic but I will be in the area hunting all week so I can get one.

Unfortunately the only way to access state land is via public road, water or with permission. Any other way is not considered legal. Bs I know I had the same idea and my dreams were squashed!

Did the county commission abandon the road or is it just being illegally posted?

Maybe it's a perscriptive easement? Maybe it's a recorded one?

As long as your elected officials didn't vote on your behalf to abandon the roadway, go hunt it.
Will a warden cite you and a jury of your peers find you guilty beyond a reasonable doubt? Unlikely.

Trespassing is a $100 fine anyway. We'll collectively cover ya... it's the least we can do for telling us where the elk are :D

I passed by and took a picture after seeing this thread. Thanks to the original poster for bringing this up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 309
I don't think it was ever a county road. I could be wrong but I was never under the impression that you can access anything up Cedar Creek off that road.

Ran to that issue down in Two Buttes, CO. County road on the Garmin, my phone's GPS, and posted with a nice shiny street sign. Gated, fenced, posted no trespassing; cutting off all vehicle traffic to the southern most point of the reservoir. It's all walk-in down there anyways, but not having that access adds an extra 3 miles to your walk-in and pack out. Not much for some of you folks, but still annoying for those of us with physical disabilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back