Cougar Mistaken For a Deer

midwesterncrosshair

I had to have a laugh when I read this. We love our Chicago brethren in IL but sometimes shake our heads at them.

Can't say I was surprised that this cat was in IL, as the hunting atlas is posting wolves now in the northern part of the state, and not to mistake them for coyotes.

Just waiting for the Elk to migrate into the lower part of the state from Kentucky or Missouri. 😬

There's always a lion or two being discussed in some area of IL on a yearly basis. Probably 10 years ago there was one in our area. Some people laid eyes on it, others had trail cam pics. I was in my deer stand during gun season and my buddy kept trying to call me. I finally answered in a whispering voice. He was all frantic and explained that that a lion was walking across his field. Him and some others were in his shop between morning and afternoon hunts and a bunch of people witnessed it. My buddy ran and grabbed a rifle and proceeded to shoot at the cat, missing 3 times at around 400 yards. Apparently it actually sat down in the field while he attempted to shoot it.

A few years later our Department of Natural resources deemed the mountain lion, wolf, and black bear as protected and off limits to killing. So if a cat or a bear wanders down they're pretty much free to go about their day.

There's always a lion or two being discussed in some area of IL on a yearly basis. Probably 10 years ago there was one in our area. Some people laid eyes on it, others had trail cam pics. I was in my deer stand during gun season and my buddy kept trying to call me. I finally answered in a whispering voice. He was all frantic and explained that that a lion was walking across his field. Him and some others were in his shop between morning and afternoon hunts and a bunch of people witnessed it. My buddy ran and grabbed a rifle and proceeded to shoot at the cat, missing 3 times at around 400 yards. Apparently it actually sat down in the field while he attempted to shoot it.

A few years later our Department of Natural resources deemed the mountain lion, wolf, and black bear as protected and off limits to killing. So if a cat or a bear wanders down they're pretty much free to go about their day.
Except for that black bear that wandered through Monroe County last year (maybe the year prior?). He did not get safe passage.

Except for that black bear that wandered through Monroe County last year (maybe the year prior?). He did not get safe passage.
There was one in 2020 that traveled from WI all the way to St. Louis... It was a cool ordeal but after the game wardens darted him and transferred him to the ozark mountains, he was later found to have been hit by a semi.

There was one in 2020 that traveled from WI all the way to St. Louis... It was a cool ordeal but after the game wardens darted him and transferred him to the ozark mountains, he was later found to have been hit by a semi.

Nope, the bear I’m thinking of was farther south. And that website is paywalled.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back