Coronavirus

Zim

Guess where the wife and I are spending our winter getaway? Yup central China. Sichuan to be exact. And just returned from Chongqing, which borders Wuhan. Pretty crazy here 100% of people wearing masks. Huge condo complexes quarantined. Checked our temps before being allowed in a mall today. Lines at pharmacies to purchase face masks being distributed one per customer. Just hope the bullet train is not shut down or flight postponed Friday for my return to US. Caught a cold too but no fever so I think I’m good.

Attachments

• 275766E9-8D2C-4B04-90EC-4C04A3372E8D.png
    275766E9-8D2C-4B04-90EC-4C04A3372E8D.png
    571.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 4DA4BA05-4D56-46CD-82CA-2476E5F19EE5.jpeg
    4DA4BA05-4D56-46CD-82CA-2476E5F19EE5.jpeg
    645.1 KB · Views: 55
  • EB827691-CB57-4D26-8702-B7386284E1C5.jpeg
    EB827691-CB57-4D26-8702-B7386284E1C5.jpeg
    670.8 KB · Views: 53
  • A1950916-91AD-41EC-8582-14CC4F355486.jpeg
    A1950916-91AD-41EC-8582-14CC4F355486.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
That is not your typical winter getaway. Is the climate nice there during the winter? After the SARS experience China is sure taking it's response to this outbreak seriously. Have a great trip.

Outside of being within the surrounding area of the epicenter, hope your adventure was enjoyable. Prepare for a brief quarantine upon your return to the States.
And, if it's any consolation, disinfect yourself - suck on a lime? /Baada-bing! #lamehumorcoffeelacking

Last night my parents were over for dinner and my mother was freaking out about this terrible, horrible, scary coronavirus outbreak that has already infected a couple thousand and killed approximately 100 people, and my wife (who is a doctor and a pragmatist) shut her down with a simple "Do you know the flu already has killed nearly EIGHT THOUSAND people this season in the United States alone? How much have you heard about THAT in the stupid news?" I laughed, it was funny...

...you'll most likely be fine, have a nice trip!

I would appreciate it if you kept your germs up in northern Indiana. Please and thanks!!

Safe travels home!! Be careful!

and my wife (who is a doctor and a pragmatist) shut her down with a simple "Do you know the flu already has killed nearly EIGHT THOUSAND people this season in the United States alone?

And tens of millions of people shun the readily available vaccine because "it's just the flu" and "I always get the flu from the flu shot" and whatever other medically incorrect or poorly reasoned excuse they can come up with.
I wonder if a wuhan vaccine came out if people would get it? How bad would it need to get?

And tens of millions of people shun the readily available vaccine because "it's just the flu" and "I always get the flu from the flu shot" and whatever other medically incorrect or poorly reasoned excuse they can come up with.
I wonder if a wuhan vaccine came out if people would get it? How bad would it need to get?

It seems like the vast majority of those people think the "stomach flu" or gastroenteritis is what the flu shot protects against. So they get a stomach virus or some minor food poisoning and think it was caused by the flu shot. I feel like I end up having that conversation with the same people very year.

$$$ = virus. However on note of this versus the flu issue. Flu virus has a vaccine. Thus the reason for additional and necessary measures.

I'll ride the small wave of GILD stock and options longs and calls while they "assess" (PR boost over the virus hype) whether their ebola counter may work for coronavirus... I'll pull off this little wave before their earnings release early next month.

How are we supposed to take the CDC seriously on subjects like this when they don't recognize Man Cold on their website? SMH

I don’t think I’ll be visiting China but props to you for going over there. After having influenza B this year I understand how it kills people. Knocked me on my ass. I believe the Chinese state run media about as much as I believe the Iran state run media, it would be very interesting to see how things are actually going over there.

I think the media coverup days here are coming to an end. They pretty much show everything on TV, even the Hong Kong beatings. The virus news is pretty much 24/7 with a break for Kobe stuff. Death rate is up to 3% which is getting up there. But as mentioned flus take many lives every year esp elderly. The 1918 flu had ~20% death rate. Bad thing about this one seems it’s spreading very fast. Been here 7 times but I’ve never seen the streets so deserted. People avoiding contact. Don’t know if it matters but I did get a flu shot this year at my doctors office.

I have a hard time getting worked up about these things when the media spends so much time hyping and acting like everything is going to kill us. Whether it’s a listeria scare in Romain Lettuce or tomatoes, food recalls off all sorts, the weather man convincing my wife we are all going to die every time a tornado rolls around etc. I was mildly concerned a few years back when Ebola made it out of Africa over here but even that was squelched pretty handily. There’s almost 8 billion of us on this planet, as turns out we don’t die easy.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back