Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Corned Elk/Pastrami

np307

Anybody ever tried this? I went with a very basic salt and nitrite cure for this 4 lb bottom round from my elk. I'll flip it each day and pull it somewhere between days 5 and 7. Haven't decided whether to just do corned, pastrami, or half and half. I've got some homemade kraut waiting and I'll make a loaf of bread once this is ready.20220118_115920.jpg

Anybody ever tried this? I went with a very basic salt and nitrite cure for this 4 lb bottom round from my elk. I'll flip it each day and pull it somewhere between days 5 and 7. Haven't decided whether to just do corned, pastrami, or half and half. I've got some homemade kraut waiting and I'll make a loaf of bread once this is ready.View attachment 209453
I have done it many times and it is my favorite way to "share the harvest." Non-hunters love it. Word of experience - let it soak a day or two longer than you think. I've cooked a few that didn't cure all the way through.

Pastrami is tastier than the corned, but the corned is much easier. I also like to steam my pastrami until tender after smoking it.

Do it fairly regular with goose and venison a couple times. I use hank shaws corn recipe check it out on honestfood.net. Normally just corn a braise. Love it

Yes, below is a recipe for corned venison with smaller quantity.
For several years I corned sixty to eighty pounds of venison (elk, moose, and bison meat) for a St Patty's Day dinner. It was really enjoyed, with folks typically requesting the recipe.

CORNED VENISON (5 lbs)
2 cups water for spice 4 1/2 teaspoons pickling spice

6 tablespoons sugar-based curing 1 tablespoon garlic powder

mixture (Morton Tender Quick) 1 tsp sea salt

1/2 cup brown sugar 6 cups cold water

5 pounds venison roast

1. Bring 2 cups water to boil in saucepan. Stir in curing mixture, brown sugar, pickling spice, garlic powder, and sea salt; dissolve and remove from heat. Pour 6 cups cold water into two gallon container; stir in spice mixture. Place venison into brine, cover, refrigerate.

2. Leave venison in refrigerator to brine for 5 to 7 days, turning the venison each day.

3. To cook, rinse meat well, place into large pot and cover with water. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, simmer for 4 hours. Remove venison from pot, allow to rest for 30 minutes before slicing.

Anybody ever tried this? I went with a very basic salt and nitrite cure for this 4 lb bottom round from my elk. I'll flip it each day and pull it somewhere between days 5 and 7. Haven't decided whether to just do corned, pastrami, or half and half. I've got some homemade kraut waiting and I'll make a loaf of bread once this is ready.View attachment 209453

Good stuff, I used a sous vide cooker to finish it instead if simmering in a pot, just keep a little water inside the bag too.

I did a brine pastrami like that but skipped the step of slicing a piece off and frying it. I rinsed it thoroughly and figured it would be fine… no way— way too salty!! My advice: Don’t skip that step. If it’s too salty let it soak in (non-brine) water longer.

I have been planning to give Hank Shaws a try now that I picked up a food scale.

Just did the first flip and everything is looking good. I'm thinking that this one will just be corned elk and the next one I do will end up as pastrami.

I did a brine pastrami like that but skipped the step of slicing a piece off and frying it. I rinsed it thoroughly and figured it would be fine… no way— way too salty!! My advice: Don’t skip that step. If it’s too salty let it soak in (non-brine) water longer.

I have been planning to give Hank Shaws a try now that I picked up a food scale.
I've eaten enough country ham to know about soaking salted meat for sure.

👆

I second this.
I should have also added that since I like to soak my meat a day or two longer, I do back off on the salt a bit. Note I'm talking about salt salt, not the pink curing salt. That is a ratio thing that you shouldn't really mess with. Plus it defeats the purpose of soaking in a cure longer if you reduce the "cure."

This was a pastrami I did last year. I think I primarily used Hank Shaw's recipe and smoked it really low for quite a while. Everyone loved it and ate every bit of it.

Attachments

• ElkPastrami.JPG
    ElkPastrami.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
Corned venison is one of my favorite. Have not ventured into pastrami yet.

Anything “corned” is only cured.

Smoking it makes it “pastrami”

The only difference is the “smoking” process.

Anything “corned” is only cured.

Smoking it makes it “pastrami”

The only difference is the “smoking” process.
Spot on. I just did 10lbs of canada goose breast. I corned/cured all 10lbs then took 6lbs and coated them with a pastrami seasoning (black pepper, coriander, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder) then smoked those - making pastrami. The other 4lb were simmered until tender - making corned goose.

I find a wet cure does better for me than a dry cure.

Well today was the day. Big success for sure. Elk went into the water bath at 6 this morning at 160f and went 12 hours until supper. I made a loaf of bread and had some sauerkraut I made in the fridge so we had reubens. Very happy with how it turned out and I'll be doing this more often. 20220125_201311.jpg20220125_172225.jpg

Well today was the day. Big success for sure. Elk went into the water bath at 6 this morning at 160f and went 12 hours until supper. I made a loaf of bread and had some sauerkraut I made in the fridge so we had reubens. Very happy with how it turned out and I'll be doing this more often. View attachment 210116View attachment 210117
Beautiful work! Post how you made that bread!

Back