Corn Fed Elk

There
Lots of Wild elk living in corn fields in Nebraska right now.
There are some in GMU 107 in Colorado now and I think they have limited licenses available for them which I might put in for. That is the same place I hunted plains deer for years. That area is all corn, wheat, sunflower, alfalfa, and millet fields with BLM and CRP land mixed in. They transplanted two dozen head in the 1990s when I was there and it appears they have taken off. Since I grew up in that area before my family moved to Denver, I still got family and friends of family to get permissions on the private.

Corn fed and alfalfa fed wild public land elk right in Idaho. Pennsylvania also. Was that video taken in Pennsylvania?

I’d stay as far from that place as possible. It’s not a hunt by any definition of the word. Pretty much open season with any weapon. You go buy your animal, drag out you new rifle, shoot your 200”+ buck then back to bourbon in the lodge while the “guides “ do the work.
Yep, a real hunt for real men.

I’d stay as far from that place as possible. It’s not a hunt by any definition of the word. Pretty much open season with any weapon. You go buy your animal, drag out you new rifle, shoot your 200”+ buck then back to bourbon in the lodge while the “guides “ do the work.
Yep, a real hunt for real men.
I don't use an outfitter period. I can't see paying for what I can do myself. Last outfitter I paid for basically was a failure and didn't do anything except send me to an area where he thought elk might be. He didn't do his homework and that is what everyone pays the big outfitting bucks for.

Hunting corn fields is not at all as easy as it seems. It renders cover and concealment and they do know you are there and sneak out when they think they can get out without you detecting them. I hunted deer for years in GMU 107 specifically out of a cornfield that I had permission to hunt. If they knew you were there, they evacuated out the other end of the field. It takes a bit of skill to hunt cornfields and a ton of patience. Sometimes you have to spend hours laying in wait for one to come out. If the smell you, you are toast. But the quality of meat for deer that feed off grain is among the best and I bet the elk will be too.

Doug, being from east central Illinois, I know about hunting cornfields.
My comment was to the fact that that place is a crapshow.
They breed the deer and I’m sure the elk now. They own them like livestock. That’s why you can shoot deer there with a rifle. Only place in Illinois were you can rifle hunt.
You’re shooting livestock, not hunting.

Doug, being from east central Illinois, I know about hunting cornfields.
My comment was to the fact that that place is a crapshow.
They breed the deer and I’m sure the elk now. They own them like livestock. That’s why you can shoot deer there with a rifle. Only place in Illinois were you can rifle hunt.
You’re shooting livestock, not hunting.
I absolutely will not participate in that kind of hunting if you can even call that hunting. The Phelps family in the 70s owned an inactive farm north of Masters, Colorado that they converted to a duck hunter club. They released pheasants, ducks and geese all with clipped wings in front of rich hunters who would pay thousands to shoot. They also bought an irrigation reservoir and eventually closed off access to public and farmers lost rights and they had to build an irrigation ditch all the way from Wiggins to get water for irrigation. And they were not friendly to the locals at all.

They had those elk farms around Montana too; fortunately shut them down when they found disease. I admit I was a bit tempted when a rancher was getting rid of his bison herd and offering to let folks shoot them for a price. Sure wasn't fair chase but would have been nice to have a buffalo rug and a freezer full of bison, and they would die anyway, and I had a new .375 H&H, and... couldn't bring myself to do it though.

I would shoot farm raised bison or other big game but I would not consider that hunting and would not keep a trophy from it. I would be butchering a farm raised animal and that would be it. But at today's prices for bison or elk especially, there is no way I would pay to shoot a farm raised one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shooterwallace78
Back