Copper or Lead (Poll)

Lead or Copper

• Total voters
Rifle or shotgun slugs - always lead.
For bird shot, I generally use copper plated lead if allowed.
If not allowed, I then use steel or bismuth for shot gun bird shot.

I quickly read through this thread to make sure I didn’t duplicate thoughts regarding the politics of copper in addition to health/clean kills/meat damage/scavenger issues. I am thinking over my long term strategy, almost all of which is NF/BLM dependent, and if I had to guess, we will again see attempts to ban lead ammo on federal lands as well as increasing supply and/or regulatory difficulties procuring ammo components on-line or across state lines. Politics aside, copper is a viable and arguably proven choice (albeit with some tradeoffs in terminal performance). I am allowing this to begin steering me into investing in copper over lead from here out. This is a whole new thought process for me - I have never shot lead free and didn’t want to - but yet someday it may be forced upon us. So if it is between buying expensive NPT (or Swifts, etc) or expensive e-tips (or barnes, or hammers, etc), my new purchases may flow to copper while my lead gets depleted, traded, or sold off. Given trends, it just seems like it may be a better use of time and $.

I handload and at ~$30 per box (MidwayUSA sales) of 50 TTSX, I do not consider it expensive.

I like the superior penetration of monolithic bullets.

I do use lead shot for a 60 lb backpack for neighborhood hikes to keep in shape.

My accubonds work to well to give them up for my centerfire rifles.

I am thinking of switching to copper for my muzzleloader though because of the known issues with lead.

Back