Caribou Gear

Copper Fouling

jryoung

I have a barrel that is fouled up pretty bad. I've never had a barrel not come clean with boretech. Have any of you ever used a bore paste on a stubborn barrel? Any other trocks or tips you have?

I had a factory rem barrel that looked like that after one shot. JB's bore paste (the mild one) and 1 hour with a plastic brush and patches would clean it. Those fancy chemicals didn't do a thing but waste my time. The cure was a good barrel.

I've heard wipe-out works well.......but I always have found sweets 7.62 to work good too.

Have had good luck with KG bore products. Would try it first then sweets then JB. JMO. I know people bash sweets and JB but I have not had any adverse affects on accuracy; I just use them as last resort. On my custom barrels there has not been a fouling issue so have not had a need to use Sweets or JB. On savage barrels and kimber barrels different story.

If it's not a hammer forged barrel, take the rifle to a good gunsmith and pay to have the bore lapped. That will smooth out a lot of the ragged edges and make cleaning much easier not to mention it reduces fouling.

I'd plug it with a non-pitting copper desolving agent and let it go to work. But since I don't have any of that, I use Barnes CR-10. Let it sit then swab the heck out of it with JB Bore paste. On that gun, moly fixed the problem years ago. But, I'm thinking this is a better solution...
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/59...3-tubes-gun-shield-1-3-oz-and-2-alcohol-wipes

IIRC they include a bore cleaning regimen as it needs to be down to bare metal to work best.

My 45-70 is guilty of copper fouling (the rifling near the muzzle may even have chatter marks)...I'm really starting to think it could be Remington QC as another of my Rem guns is a copper mess.

Sweets 7.62 would be my copper cleaning. I have had success with foaming bore cleaner and letting it soak for a few minutes.

If the rifle is still accurate, Leave it. Powder fouling is what can damage the bore over time. After watching some video's with Todd Hodnett from Accuracy first, I switched to just removing powder fouling, and couldn't be happier with the results. My .308Win has approximately 500 rounds down the tube while only removing powder fouling. It still shoots sub 1" 200yd groups.

In the long run, aggressive solvents and brushes will do more harm than good to the bore of the rifle.

Wipe Out. Spray, let it sit 10 minutes, run a patch through and clean with powder solvent. Quick, easy and clean. I used Sweets 7.62 for years and spent hours removing copper. Not any more.

If the rifle is still accurate, Leave it. Powder fouling is what can damage the bore over time. After watching some video's with Todd Hodnett from Accuracy first, I switched to just removing powder fouling, and couldn't be happier with the results. My .308Win has approximately 500 rounds down the tube while only removing powder fouling. It still shoots sub 1" 200yd groups.

In the long run, aggressive solvents and brushes will do more harm than good to the bore of the rifle.

Absolutely correct. Do not clean it unless the accuracy starts getting bad. With any rifle, the bullet rides on a coat of copper to a degree. Continued cleaning of copper without a real need to do so makes barrel makers very happy, as you will be back to see them far sooner.

I will say this as well... Removing Copper fouling is what can, and often does create a change in POI with a clean bore. Removing only the powder fouling, IME, has not created any shifts in POI.

Less effort and time in cleaning, less POI shift with a clean bore, longer barrel life... What's not to love?:D

Wipe out or patch out work well for me. They also make an accelerant but I have never used it.

Sweets is good but ammonia based. a little kroil and jb bore paste if all else fails.

I haven't found a fouled barrel I couldn't clean with wipe out though. You can also take your time and let it sit. I use mostly patch out now just because I don't like messing with the foam and just too used to running patches.

Clean it a few times with Wipeout and it will completely clean it up.

As previously stated, you don't necessarily need to get down to bare bore. However, a lot of "shot out barrels" such as with the intro of the swift were actually just fouled up barrels. When I need to really clean a barrel I turn to butches bore shine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back