Cool Bot Walk In

Brittany Chukarman

For those of you wondering about trying a Cool Bot walk- in cooler, well it works really well. I've only used it one season but so far so good.The Cool Bot wires into a window mount air conditioner and lets the AC run colder than normal. Mine actually started to ice up and I had to increase the fin temperature.The instructions are really good, I'm not tech savvy and had no problem making the adjustments.I incorporated mine into a shop/barn project I've been working on for the last 5 winters. From my barn the door goes into a pantry then once inside the pantry the walk-in door is to the left. In the pic from the barn the AC is to the left of the door.Finished dimensions are 7'5"x7'5". Heavy insulation and an air tight build are the keys to making it all work. I think it also helps having it out of the direct sunlight. A corner of a shop or garage would work well. I cooled my buck down quickly and a friend used it for his elk.

Attachments

• IMG_0952.JPG
    IMG_0952.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,279
  • IMG_0954.JPG
    IMG_0954.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,254
  • IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,236
  • IMG_0957.JPG
    IMG_0957.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 2,237
  • IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 1,880
Nice! How much did you have in to the total project?

I went kind of overboard on it and didn't keep very good track of the cost.If I did it again I would go into it with a better game plan. If you go to the link Cushman posted there's some good notes on the recommended construction. I think you could build a small one for around $1000 or less not including the AC and the CoolBot. Just depends on how well you want to finish it out.

Meat cooler..

I built mine from a 8x10 shed, actually had it built on site in my back yard, due to the difficulty of moving one in, and due to time constraints, (hunting season right around the corner, and needed to get it done), took me about a week to finish it. Total cost including a brand new shed, all insulation and sheathing, an 18000 btu a/c unit, and the cool-bot unit, plus had to run dedicated power for a/c, was right around 2500. Sounds like a lot, but myself, hunting partners, and various others use it, so I think it's paid for itself already. It surprisingly is not that expensive to run either, as long as it's well insulated, and keep the door closed, compressor is not forced to run much. Of all the investments I've made in 30+ years of hunting, I personally believe this is the best.

Oh, and when it's not in use for hanging meat, I can use it for more storage.

My friends built one in their pole building. They went all out including lining the walls with washable paneling and a drain in the floor so periodically they can come in an sanitize the whole thing.

I am curious about how it works (the "How it works" section on the website does not explain it). Does the coolbot have a heater that sits next to the AC thermostat, or does it tie in to the AC control wiring?

Another question: I had a friend with a conventional walk-in cooler and he sold it because of all the electricity that it used. It was not economical. What is the cost of electricity per month on average? Thanks.

good luck to all
the dog

Your set-up looks identical to my plans for a Cool Bot.I stumbled across that site a couple years ago and thought it would be worth a try.The cost of electricity was the mystery factor,but I figured I would just use the space for cooling meat before i cut and wrap and put everything in a chest freezer.That way it runs for just a couple of months at best.I have two wall mount AC units begging to be used.Thanks for the pics.

I am curious about how it works (the "How it works" section on the website does not explain it). Does the coolbot have a heater that sits next to the AC thermostat, or does it tie in to the AC control wiring?

It does have a heater lead that you put against the AC thermostat and wrap them together with aluminum foil. There's another lead that you put 1/3 of an inch into the fins of the AC to prevent icing up. Another lead hangs down for the room temp. 3 wires total.
I only have it on when game is in it, 2 or 3 days for the deer and the elk was picked up after 4 days. I'm using an 8000 BTU AC. Just a guess but I think it used $3-4 a day. Part of the time I used the energy saver mode and when the weather changed I turned it off at night. The smaller your space is and the fuller your space is the less it has to run. Also the less you go in and out the better. Mine cools off pretty quick but I think a 10,000 BTU unit would cool quicker and maybe run less in my footage. I don't butcher in there so it's easy to keep clean. Picked up some remnant linoleum so if it gets a few blood spots it wipes up easily. We also put a big piece of cardboard down under the elk as we hosed it off outside before hanging. Eventually I will get some hooks but for now rope off the tamarack poles works ok .The room is so well insulated and air-tight that we store apples and vegetables in it thru the winter. It wasn't really my plan but you can also pick up some extra money with it. The guy who shot the elk showed up with a whole elk in his truck. We lifted it with my tractor to skin, wash and quarter it then hung it for 4 days. He gave us $40. Hem, check and see if your AC's will work with the Cool Bot. Ron the inventor has a list of the brands that it works with.

The default was set at 40 and I reset it to 38. After being closed up all night it got as low as 36 if I remember right. I didn't try to go as low as it would, wish I would have just so I would know.
Schmalts, I'm helping my nephew get set up with optics. Thinking about Theron Wapiti LT 8x32. Also a rifle scope. Will be in touch.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back