Contribute to Minnesota Deer Research This Fall

MinnesotaHunter

A doctoral candidate at the University of Minnesota is looking for volunteers in her study of gut pile scavenging. It sounds super easy, you just have to put a trail camera on your gut pile and send her the photos along with some information. The link below has the information to sign up.

I have no stake in this, I just heard about it in Outdoor News, and thought I would pass the word. Worst case scenario it sounds like a fun thing to see.

https://minnesotamasternaturalist.wordpress.com/2019/10/25/vol-calling-all-deer-hunters-2/

I should probably do more than just skim the article, but does it need to be from this year? I put a cam on a gut pile just out of my own curiosity two falls back. More deer checked it out than predators really. One coyote walked by but didn’t eat. Mostly woodpeckers and chickadees ate off it, getting the fat I’m assuming.

We did this at our hunting spot in MN back in 2013 with just the carcass/bones after we finished processing. Gut pile was left at kill site. We left it all on the edge of a hayfield and within minutes of driving off the field several bald eagles were sitting in trees around the edges. Later that afternoon in one picture we counted 15 bald eagles. Eagles and crows picked it clean in about 6 hours. Deer, wolves, coyotes and bobcats all showed up in the next few nights.

It was a big snow year and in January we followed wolf tracks to the carcass location and they had dug up the spinal column and some other bones out of 2.5+ ft of snow cover.

Unfortunately, I cannot locate those trail cam pics. Must have lost them when changing computers and did not have them backed up.

Here is another study the DNR is doing this fall everyone can participate in about pesticides
Some more info on here as well; Oct 26th show

I should probably do more than just skim the article, but does it need to be from this year? I put a cam on a gut pile just out of my own curiosity two falls back. More deer checked it out than predators really. One coyote walked by but didn’t eat. Mostly woodpeckers and chickadees ate off it, getting the fat I’m assuming.
good question, i'm sure they would take it as they just want to know which species are visiting the sites

Yes I believe so. Thee are some parameters to her research, such as duration (needs to be on it immediately and for 30 days after. Also she needs picture of everything in those 30 days. I would recommend contacting her.

Right on. Pretty sure my “monitoring” meets the requirements. I’ll shoot the researcher an email and see if I can do my good deed for the day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back