Yeti GOBOX Collection

Contender caliber recomendations

VAspeedgoat

I just picked up a used contender in 22 mag and was considering getting another barrel to use for deer and possibly varmints. I would like to keep the barrel on the shorter side like 10-12" but im not sure what caliber options would perform well in this barrel length. I have looked at 30-30, and 35 rem but I don't know if I need a longer barrel to shoot factory loads well. I have also thought abouy 6.8 rem but have the same concerns. I think a .223 would be fine for varmints but is not legal for deer in Va. I would think the maximum I would shoot if I had a proper rest would be 200. Any thoughts or suggestions would really be appreciated.

I have a 7x30 Waters in a 14" barrel and absolutely love it. From the bench I can get 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards, and can easily drop deer/antelope from 200 yards if I do my job. Lots of fun to shoot in the Prairie Dog Town as well. I wouldn't recommend a 10" barrel in this round, but a 12" might work out alright.

There is a pile of wildcat cartridges that will extend the range of a contender. I don't care much for forming brass and while there is a huge following for several of the jdj chamberings I am skeptical of some of the velocities guys are getting and them not being over pressure. There are enough stretched contender frames out there that you can find many topics on what to look for to know if a frame has stretched. I had a super 14 in 44 and 30-30. The 30-30 handloaded with 125 grain NBT worked amazing on deer. If I were going with a 10 inch barrel I would go with the 300 blackout or 357 maximum. If going with the maximum try to find a custom barrel or tech ambers magnum barrel.

My dad had a 30-30 barrel that I bought him for Christmas. That handloaded round with 125 grain loads was amazing. I'm sure there is better options out there, but definitely an option to consider.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back