Conservation Groups/Advice

Bagel_7

Just wanted to pick everyone's brain if I could. I am part of a local chapter for a national conservation group (name omitted) and we have our inaugural banquet coming in November. I am sure there are others that work for different conservation groups what advice would you give me in my quest for ticket sales and donation requests?

Note, this is my first year actually sitting on the board, however I have attended numerous banquets over the years. My chapter has much more experience than I do. But I want to be as helpful as I can. Thanks in advance.

If you are looking for hunters to show up, I would pick a different month than November to have a fund raiser for starters. Also remember that all business get hit up non stop all year long for donations. Keep that in mind when soliciting donations.

I can't help the November date and there have been banquets in November in the past where large groups were gone due to hunting trips. I also understand that companies get hit up year round that's why I was looking for advice. Even if its about selling tickets, running a smooth banquet, anything someone with experience can share.

I've had success calling past donors and thanking them for their previous generosity and asking for a similar donation. Also, your national HQ should be able to provide tools to help with this, and may have items already on hand for these kinds of events or a list of sponsors they get donations from.

Don't just focus on outdoors stuff either. Many women go to banquets and they will bid heavily on items like spa weekends, booze baskets, Hotel weekends, etc.

I've also had good luck with rifle raffles and a "buy a square" board for prizes. It's also important to have a good auctioneer who can work a crowd and build excitement. There's a high level of showmanship to these banquets, and most folks aren't coming for rubber chicken or shoe-leather steaks.

Another big money maker is a hosted bar. People spend a lot more money after a couple of high balls or banquet beers.

Good luck and have fun!

As for ticket sales, I've seen good success with social media, especially when there's some funds put behind it.

Other than that, each board member should be responsible for selling a certain number of tickets, as well as having venues such as sporting good stores and other like businesses sell your tickets. Radio is an effective tool, as is local talk shows on TV for board members to go visit and promote the event, and then there's the ubiquitous billboard. Not sure what the ROI on billboards is, but they do seem to draw attention.

I can't help the November date and there have been banquets in November in the past where large groups were gone due to hunting trips. I also understand that companies get hit up year round that's why I was looking for advice. Even if its about selling tickets, running a smooth banquet, anything someone with experience can share.

Be a good salesman for your org. Explain why donating to your org is good for their business. Give examples of what you do with the revenue generated with the banquet. Have an orderly well thought out plan for cashing out buyers at the end of the evening. Good auctioneer makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

I have been on a local chapter committee for a National conservation organization for several years, and have been the president of chapter for last 3 years. I don't think it matters what time of year you hold an event, there is always something else pulling attendees. We used to have 2/3 events a year, now we have been having 1 big event. We sell out and jam pack our venue each year. We charge $25 for a ticket which covers food cost, plus we make a little bit from ticket. Our attendees are given membership to organization. We stress this when selling, you get meal, entrance to event, and a year long membership which includes a magazine. We don't have to sell to hard now that we have a large group of past attendees. In fact we do not advertise at all, but past attendees get mailers. We started charging $10 to drink beer/wine (We go through 4 kegs). With that $10 we get nice mugs/pint/wine glasses with logo. We also put $20 worth of general raffle tickets in the glasses. Once again we say for $20 you get to drink, a glass to take home, and raffle tickets. We also sell hats that we tuck a bunch of tickets into the underside of hat. We charge $20 a hat (hats cost $2-$4) and we say you could be getting $20-$100 worth of raffle tickets in hat. We also started selling knives, flashlights, etc with organization logo in the same way. We just attach an envelope with mystery tickets inside. We usually sell out of almost every item. People will buy multiples, or one of each. Raffle tickets cost nothing, and it doesn't matter if you give out a thousand or ten thousand.

We also do silent auction, and a live auction if we have some special items that create a buzz.

We will do special raffles, sell different tickets than general raffle. We have done a Yeti full of frozen meat from a local butcher shop, cooler full or beer or gift card to local beer store, hand guns, AR's, etc.

We also do a 50/50 right at the beginning. We usually hope that the winner will spend his share of 50/50 on more raffles.

Our big money maker is our organization has a banner with around 50 guns pictured. We sell 75 tickets, give away choice of gun on banner. We usually get through 10-15 rounds of selling 75 tickets. Nice thing about this is that we don't have to have guns there, we order through FFL after event, but it gives people a lot of choices if they win. We still get a few guns that we have at event to raffle off or give away.

We make bulk of money on raffles and silent auctions. We make a little off of ticket and glass sales. It is a great event, and a lot of fun. We are in a very rural area and have no trouble raising money and having a great event. Any questions, send me a message. Good luck

I am a local chapter president of a large national conservation org. there are good ideas and bad ideas for raffles. Put the $$ to paper and see how it turns out. Many times I see raffles that are set wrong in terms of cost of ticket, number of tickets, and cost of item. You should at least double your money on an item if selling out. Golf courses are easy to get donations from and you can do a golf around town package that can generate lots of $$ by putting together multiple courses on 1 prize. Does your state sell lifetime licenses? If so, they are great prizes, especially for kids. Meat/Seafood/Spirits raffles seem to go good. I am a believer in "sexy" prizes. Nobody is going to dig deep in their wallet to win an 870. They will for the big 3 Bs (Beretta, Benelli, and Browning).

Shoot me a PM if you want more ideas!

A new raffle item for me is the SiliPint (Pint cup made out of silicone). They cost much more than a pint glass but are durable and safe to use outside...a plus for outdoors groups. I'd gladly overpay for one of those over another Budweiser pint. Throwing in a few free beers sweetens the deal.

I'm not good at selling raffle tickets or banquet entry tickets...personally I'm the type that will get suckered in by some kid giving me sad eyes (kids are so evil!). If your banquet is kid friendly be sure to tell everyone. I think most bigger national groups have some sort of kids only games/raffle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back