Confusion over the word "axolotl"

Ten Bears

Confusion over the word "axolotl"
A lot of people seem to think that "axolotl" is a word for the larval form of any salamander rather than the name of a certain species. This confusion probably has to do with the fact that young tiger salamanders look a whole lot like young axolotls. But they are not the same. When properly used, the word axolotl refers only to creatures belonging to the species Ambystoma mexicanum, that originated in the lakes of Mexico. The tiger salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum) is a closely related, but different, species.

I understand that some scientific types like to refer to larval salamanders as axolotls, simply because its quicker than saying "juvenile tiger salamander." While people who do this are normally aware that they are lumping different species together, this over-application of the term trickles down into mass confusion among the pet-owning public.
http://inky.50megs.com/axolotldiffs.html
(research presented by an ATV jockey)

Ten, you're spend way to much time digging for usless information!

Form what I understand the word axolotl was thought to be used to describe salamanders that never loose their gills. They were classified as such because they also never fully under go transfomation to adults, exactly like the ones in mexico... They are in fact a juvinile tiger salimander that is sexually mature while in the juvinile stage (did you not read that part of my post?). This only occours in a few places in the world. As far as I'm aware know one knows exactly why either.

This confusion probably has to do with the fact that young tiger salamanders look a whole lot like young axolotls. But they are not the same.
That may well be the reason for the name of the lake and region. BUT what you caught wasn't an axolotl.
I have read through some of the things you said, and I have a few questions.
I say close down more of the Gravellys or at least close the roads down durring hunting season to keep the Fat assed crowed from breaking the laws.
Are they the only people breaking the law there, or are you just prejudiced???
If we let the ATV crowd in, you can kiss that good by as well. They have proven that in Utah and other places with all the artifacts that get stolen and defaced yearly there.
Show me the correlation that ATVers alone destroy/steal/deface artifacts/sites...

[ 02-11-2004, 13:40: Message edited by: Ten Bears ]

Umm are you done kicking this dead horse? You had no idea what an axolotl was before that story was brought up and now you are the expert on them
:rolleyes:

Cann't you read the part in each one of my posts that they are JUVINILE TIGER SALAMANDERS Again if you can go back and read some of your resources you will notice that the axolotl has been misidentified/named for years... I didn't name the lakes or the axolotls in them. Everyone that lives around there or has half a brain can figure out what I'm talking about.

Are they the only people breaking the law there, or are you just prejudiced???
I hate ATV'ers , ever since I cornered this dipshit that was driving all over the place in the Gravellys with his ATV. He told me that since he paid $450 for his elk tag he was going to drive where ever he wanted to, I turned him in but it pretty hard to catch someone in a million acres... they should be outlawed from public gound period.

Out all of my friends family that work for the forest circus in the Ennis district, the number one complaint/tickets issued involve.... you guessed it Fat asses on ATV's. The work many hours of over time during hunting season because it gets so bad...

You don't see any corralation between ATVs and destruction of artifacts/natural wonders... Here are a few links of native american artifact destructions due to 4x4's and Fat asses. I could dig more up but whats the point...sure there are also times where people not using atv's destroy artifacts, but if we limit the fat asses, they could cut down on most of the destruction! The destruction has gotten a lot worse in the last decade as the fat asses keep getting fatter and lazier...

I think the worst for me was when I took a trip down the Missouri with my dad. We cannoed for four days stopping and camping along the way. We stoped at the "Eye of the needle" only to see a pile of rubble. That land mark had stood for the last 200 years unharmed, named by the Lewis and Clark expidition. As far as I know this wasn't linked to ATV's but linked to "easy" access.

destruction

Chaired by Moss, the hearings of the Senate Subcommittee on Public Lands proceeded as scheduled on April 25. Witnesses on both sides of the issue reiterated familiar arguments. Expressing regret over the collapse of the Canyonlands compromise, Bennett, Burton, and Lloyd asked for more time in order to "continue our search for a united front on the bill." Moss was reluctant to grant the request. Three years of deliberations had already occurred and it was time to "get down to cases." He also raised the specter of vandalism: Indian ruins and artifacts were being defaced. Natural wonders, too, were threatened. One formation, the Goblet of Venus, had been destroyed when vandals hooked a chain around its fragile stem and pulled it over with a jeep. The area needed protection, he pleaded, "before it is too late." Moss, frustrated by the "tactics of delay" but hoping for an accord, agreed to keep the record open until May 15.
destruction 2

more destruction by the fat asses

I could list many more, but you should get the point... The reason these sites are getting destroyed is because its too easy to get to them. If ATV's and 4x4's for that matter were not allowed anywhere close these sites would stand a chance.

[ 02-12-2004, 11:08: Message edited by: Bambistew ]

As with BUZZ, your hatred is blinding, and your wisdom limited by it. Someday you guys may grow through it, but most don't.

[EDIT ADDITION]

BTW, prior to these debates, I did know what an axolotl was, and that is why I posted this information.

Ten, if atv's arent doing damage...then why are agencies limiting them more and more????

See the big picture and ask yourself the simple questions.

Limitations come with increased use. Kinda like hunting and fishing seasons. Those seem to regulate.

Ask yourself:
Has hunting seasons and regulations stopped poaching????

[ 02-11-2004, 18:50: Message edited by: Ten Bears ]

How to respond to such logic????

Yep, you're definately drunk.

Ask yourself: "do my posts make sense to anyone other than me?"

Yep, consensus says they do.
;) ;) ;)

If that's the case CO & EG, step up and prove me wrong on the definition of axolotl. BIMBOSTEW is/was correct in the use of the misuse of the defintition. But since you all know so much, chime in on the debate.

[EDIT]
Somebody please reduce that picture.

You ever notice how the definition of a Mexican salamander turns into an ATV debate?

Calling tiger salamanders - axolotls is akin to calling screechowls- spotted owls, or redtail hawks - goshawks.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Umm... didn't YOU bring up ATV dispute in this tread?

It seems that no one cares but you and me if an axolotl is a tiger salamander or an ishkabivill... ;)

I kind of see it like people calling antlers horns or vise versa... people understand what thier talking about even though its misnamed!

Only on your related quote.

I found a site that refers to oregon newts as axolotls now????? The confusion seems contagious.

Back