Confused about Available Idaho OTC Non-Resident Elk Tags?

Roughwater

I'm confused about where a non-resident can hunt for Elk in Idaho. Previously I had assumed the only available Idaho non-resident units where I could buy a non-resident Elk tag to hunt on were the units at this link:
https://idfg.idaho.gov/tag/quotas-nonresident . But I got to totaling up the Quota's for each unit and it came up to less than 4000 and they say 12000 tags are available to non-residents. Also I noticed not all units listed as OTC units are on the list at this link such as Tex Creek for example. Too, the above link shows some 8000 Elk tags still available. So a better question would be: "can I purchase a Idaho 2020 Archery Elk tag for Tex Creek even though it's not shown on the attached list? "

I haven’t been to Idaho in decades but believe the remaining zones will open up for tag purchase in the near future.

The easiest way to see what is still available is to log in to the ID DFG website and see what is listed. That link is great if you're looking at unit with capped tags, but there are a bunch that are not capped.

Yes you are able to buy a non resident tag for the Tex Creek Zone. An "A tag" allows you to archery hunt for any elk from Aug 30 - Sep 30 and then use any weapon for an anterless elk from Oct 22-31. A "B tag" allows you to archery hunt a spike or anterless elk from Aug 30-Sep 14 and then use any weapon for an antlered elk from Oct 15-Oct 21.

Last edited:
They will sell fast after the draw odds are posted so dont piss around.
Thanks Hilljack. I hoped that was the case. Unfortunatly back in 2017 I thought the only available Idaho Elk Archery tags were the one's listed at the nonresident quotas link. So I choose the Lo LO. Mistake for sure. I plan to put in for the Montana Draw but If I don't get one I'll buy a Idaho tag if they aren't all sold out after the Montana draw results come out. If all else fails I'll get a Utah any Bull tag most likely but they sell out quick too. Last year they (Utah) sold out in less than 3 weeks but they aren't available till late June I believe. 17K tags in 2 plus weeks! I'm pretty sure that was some kind of record sell out for Utah!

There’s an overall cap for nonresidents and then caps in some zones. Usually the cap is used in areas that are on the lower end of objective or below objective.

The best way to find out is to sign up for an account to purchase license and tags, add a non resident license to your cart then you will see what tags are available to buy. I was confused also and called idfg to find out what the deal was. Apparently the link you are looking at are tags available for"capped zones". Other zones are available that aren't capped other than the overall limit on non res.

Many buy their license and apply for the special draws then as soon as the results come out if they didnt draw they get the OTC tag so the NR tags sell out around in august I believe
thats why many NR tags are still for sale

and all unsold outfitter allocated tags are up for sale Aug 1. The higher demand areas like Sawtooth etc you need to call IDFG and be put on a list if you are trying to get one of the leftover outfitter tags.

and all unsold outfitter allocated tags are up for sale Aug 1. The higher demand areas like Sawtooth etc you need to call IDFG and be put on a list if you are trying to get one of the leftover outfitter tags.
I am unfamiliar with this. Is it a drawing or a list?

there is a outfitter allocated list on IDFG its listed with the zone capped tags. They update it every week or so. The units that were highly coveted years ago selway,lolo etc. would sell out fast, now 90% or more of the outfitter tags are available come Aug 1. there was still some Sawtooth tags last year, but I found out you need to call and be put on a list for these tags. They called us for elk city tags if we wanted them.Example Lolo tags last year there was 224 for outfitters July 30th there was 214 available, so come Aug 1 those tags now become available to the public to buy. If you are looking at a capped zone and they are sold out call or email IDFG and tell them you want to be put on a list for what tag you want in the leftover outfitter tags

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back