NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Confident in Accubonds for Elk?

RugerHawg413

If you had to use Nosler Accubonds for elk, using 7mm rem mag and at 160 grains. Would you feel confident and comfortable using them for elk from 150 to 400 yards. Yes or No. Thank you for all the help and info!

Killed 3 bulls with same bullet. All dead despite the poor marksmanship on my behalf. 200-350yards
Amazing. Was it like the Kennedy "magic bullet," zigzagging through 3 elk? Or did you recover it and load it over and over? ;)

I've never been disappointed by 160 accubonds from my 7RM on elk. Ditto, 160 Nosler partitions.

The Accubond is a premium bullet. What would you use instead?

Ok, I use a Partition but that's because there was no Accubond when I used the Partition. Both will work.

Accubonds yes!! I used a single 140 gr. Nosler Accbond out of my 280 AI last fall on a grizzly bear. I've taken antelope, deer, and elk with it also. In addition I have shot Accubonds into gallon water jugs lined up from 25-100-200-300-400-500 yards testing penetration, expansion, and weight retention. They performed superbly. Use them with confidence.

I’m getting a 7mm soon and am loading that exact same bullet for it. My wife took a large cow with 110 AB’s at 220 yards last fall. I was impressed with how they held up at 257 wby speed.

I’m getting a 7mm soon and am loading that exact same bullet for it. My wife took a large cow with 110 AB’s at 220 yards last fall. I was impressed with how they held up at 257 wby speed.
Did you happen to recover the bullet? Just curious what weight retention you see with your 257 wby. I have recovered 4 or 5 and seem to get 60% retention.

Did you happen to recover the bullet? Just curious what weight retention you see with your 257 wby. I have recovered 4 or 5 and seem to get 60% retention.
I would say very close to that. We recovered 2 at or near the opposite hide. Didn’t weigh them. She shot a large bodied muley buck at 100 yards this year that went through a shoulder and bottom of the spine and recovered against the opposite hide. Weighed just over 60 grains.

This elk in my avatar did not enjoy 4 160gr Accubonds at over 400 yards out of my 280AI. 3 full pass throughs, 1 recovered in the offside hide that had encountered a specifically treacherous path through a shoulder blade and a rib. Perfect bullet performance.

F49D7786-15EA-444B-A3B2-03CE7C8E39E9.jpeg

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back