Commissioner Tag Habitat Raffle: SOLD

Sounds like this fella is in for a real treat! Never hunted out west and only bought a single ticket. What would you do for a Wyoming elk hunt if you'd never hunted elk before?
If going DIY I’d tell him to go to 100 and kill himself a respectable 6pt on an easy first elk hunt.
Or get a 128 deer tag and enjoy a rut hunt for mule deer on his first trip would be pretty special also.

If he was an archery hunter, there's a few very hard to draw units that put up a stellar rut hunt. As an archery hunter, I'd want my first elk hunt to be in an area where the tag quota is low and the bull to cow ratio is high. You could filter through a few bulls early and really get to know what kind of bulls are in the area if they're responsive. Screaming bulls on public and not a lot of pressure is a treat.

As a rifle hunter from Florida and never being out west? Put me in front of the snow and into some elk down low. Again looking at the quota and ratios. A few units available for that kind of hunt.

Don't rush picking a unit either, he's got time to do research based on his wants.

This guy is in for a good first experience!

Sounds like this fella is in for a real treat! Never hunted out west and only bought a single ticket. What would you do for a Wyoming elk hunt if you'd never hunted elk before?
Well, among my first few contacts, I'd planned to reach out to you! '-)

This forum would have been a go-to for me as well. It would have been a fun experience. I was hoping, but a realist too. Ends up as a donation to a good cause. All good. It would have been a first hunt in Wyoming and, I think I'd have chosen an Elk hunt. Budgets would have been far exceeded too!

Thanks to the Commish (and to you) for the opportunity and for the raffle experience. I hope that the winner shares his experience.

Last edited:
I am not sure not a member on that site. I just check it once a week bc that site seems a little more loose lipped about areas. Use it as a where not to go site. If that makes sense

Edit: went back and checked and yes his first post just joined today

I'm hoping he does well on his hunt! I've been trying to put him in touch with folks to help him out and told him to get on the forums. Apparently, he hasn't come around here yet, but I bet/hope he does!

I'm hoping he does well on his hunt! I've been trying to put him in touch with folks to help him out and told him to get on the forums. Apparently, he hasn't come around here yet, but I bet/hope he does!
I read a few posts, apparently made by the raffle winner, on another site. He seems to have been new to that forum as well. Whatever he decides/communicates, I wish him the best of luck. He's got a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

As for me, I'm going to go fly-fishing (western trout stream tour) for the summer! '-)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back