Caribou Gear

coming into focus

Hatchie Dawg

When I came off the mountain last November after an unsuccessful 1st attempt at elk, I stopped at the first gas station and got me a Hostess cherry pie and a bag of Cracker Jacks. My 44 y/o body was as hard as it had been in 20 years or so but quickly went down hill as I fumbled around in a bit of a funk and ate a lot of junk food. I quit training altogether.

I was torn as to where to make next year's hunt and a bit disheartened after all the work then coming up empty. Damn I would hate to do that again. But the harvest stats came out a last week and "my units" numbers held up, and I finalized my choice for a hunt.

What a difference a little finality makes. I am running, improving my diet, and back on the weights. Even with the lay off I find I am further along than I was last year when I started. I think my wife is starting to worry about my mental stability but I am again turning mind and body to the elk. I guess my mind never really left them, it was just my spirit that sagged a bit. I will be harder and wiser than last year looking forward to rolling the dice again, laying it all out there now that October has come into focus.

HD

I think I can say that most of us have been there done that. Just don't burn yourself out. If mamma isn't happy, we aren't happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back