Comeback season!

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
Day 1 of Sodak goat bash, started by oversleeping by 35 mins...not good.

I tried to keep my cool and not rush. Got to the spot and nobody was parked...cool!

Hiked in 2 miles from the truck, four groups of hunters there...not cool.
20201003_104849.jpg
Stalked within 200 yds of a doe, I decided to keep the safety on. My tags is legal for "Any" but I want my first pronghorn to be a buck!

After the excitement, I sat on the glassing point for two hours. Got up and hiked back to the truck. I finally saw a buck! Problem was he stayed on private with no fence to stop him. He was a younger one but I had a bullet with his name on it, anyway. He eventually bugged out while I was getting bugged out!
20201003_105704.jpg
I made back to the truck and decided to scout for awhile. Ran into GFP, we had a good talk. He was taking a buddy out for the first time. The buddy had two stalks already.

I meandered off and sat a ridge for the rest of light and came up with a good gameplan for day 2.

**PSA** Always be careful where you sit while in the prairie!
20201003_122551.jpg

P.s. the MR Popup 28 is a BA little bag!
20201003_104933.jpg

To be continued...

Long story short, SoDak goat bash went poorly I had two shots and I missed...tag soup

On to Wyoming pronghorn.

First day, I passed up a mid-sized buck 😳😳. Saw nothing else.

2nd day, scouted and got the lay of the land.

The 3rd day, We spotted a dandy buck. “Stalked” him and pushed him on private.

Day 4, winds picked up to 45 Mph. The big guy came back on to public. We setup an ambush, then the sun set before he read the script.

Final day, woke up to Big Hank on public again. We got with in 350 yds and he was walking right in front of me. As soon as he was about 320 and broadside, I felt the wind gust hard from behind me. He stopped hard and started to double back, I rushed the shot and missed. He bolted out of our lives. Humble pie and tag soup!!

Summary: I had my chances and I blew them. No excuses, just lessons.

Next up was the 5 day deer season.

1st, found a good camp and scouted. Found a group of does.

2nd, saw pronghorn EVERYWHERE on public 🤯🤯. Found a bedded mulie 4x4. Tried to stalk him with cover between, he gave us the slip, big boy!!

Spent the rest of the time waiting for him to screw up, he didn’t.

Tail tucked, I made it back to Rapid. A lot of lessons learned and a lot of laughs.

After hunting the foothills of the wind, I decided that I’m definitely a prairie guy!

Btw, I will have a good chunk of gear to sell. Lots of stuff didn’t make the team for me.

My hunting partner is 3 weeks removed from his TPLO surgery and doing well! I hope to hunt snows with him in the early spring!

Back