Caribou Gear

Combination Rifles

FairWeather

Is anyone aware of current production combination rifles that are sub 2k? Sub 1k, even better.

It seems every time I go deer hunting, I’m seeing upland but I have no legal means to hunt them on me. I inevitably don’t harvest a deer, and I come home empty handed. I’m wanting to get a rifle/shotgun combination to be prepared to hunt both while I’m out there. Preferably a 308/20ga, and I’d sell the 308 & 20ga I have presently.
Trouble is, it doesn’t seem like many people make these guns anymore. there’s Blaser, but those are $12k+, so not getting one of those in this lifetime.

The only thing I’m seeing out there that kind of fits the bill is the Chiappa Double Badger. Their website lists a model in .243/410 for msrp under $700. Neither is the caliber/gauge that I want…but they should do the trick just the same. It would just ruin the plan to replace my existing guns.

Does anyone know of any out there that I’m not finding with google?

Is anyone aware of current production combination rifles that are sub 2k? Sub 1k, even better.

It seems every time I go deer hunting, I’m seeing upland but I have no legal means to hunt them on me. I inevitably don’t harvest a deer, and I come home empty handed. I’m wanting to get a rifle/shotgun combination to be prepared to hunt both while I’m out there. Preferably a 308/20ga, and I’d sell the 308 & 20ga I have presently.
Trouble is, it doesn’t seem like many people make these guns anymore. there’s Blaser, but those are $12k+, so not getting one of those in this lifetime.

The only thing I’m seeing out there that kind of fits the bill is the Chiappa Double Badger. Their website lists a model in .243/410 for msrp under $700. Neither is the caliber/gauge that I want…but they should do the trick just the same. It would just ruin the plan to replace my existing guns.

Does anyone know of any out there that I’m not finding with google?
My buddy has an S&w governor. You can shoot 45 colt or 410 ga interchangeably. He regularly shots grouse with it. A lot easier and lighter than carrying a combo. Might be something to consider.

While stationed in Germany I found a mod 24J Savage in our rod & gun club store, got it. Figured I was set to go. It was a 22LR over a 20ga. Ya know what, I never did hunt much with that thing. Probably would have made a good rabbit gun but at this point in my life I simply can't find a use for a gun like that. And the drilling I don't think I'd find a bit of use for in any cal/ga. Your hunting a dangerious game with one rifle round and two shotgun rounds. I believe I'd prefer the SxS rifle with two rifle rounds! And why would you carry a gun with an extra rifle barrel on it bird hunting? Maybe a sitting rabbit now and then? Maybe but I suspect one of the shotgun barrels would give the same results!

If the birds are close and still you could get a “judge” revolver loaded with .410 and carry along with your preferred deer rifle.

Saw a couple of Drillings for around 2k. Generally they are very well made guns.

I had the Savage .22/.410 when I was a kid. It accounted for a number of rabbits and gray squirrels.
When I was a kid my neighbor had one of these that we’d borrow for rabbit hunting.
When I got back into it a few years ago I was surprised that these aren’t more popular.
I think savage makes one 🤷‍♂️

I have one of the old 410/22’s. The piece that let you choose between barrels was broke when I inherited it. Took an awhile for the gunsmith to find/make whatever it took to fix it. Shoots pretty good now tho so I guess it was worth it.

My local shop had one of the Savages in 20ga/22mag a couple weeks ago. I’ve also heard of the version with a 30-30 barrel but never seen it, like VG said it would be headed home.

Savage offered the 24 in 22 lr, 22 mag, 22 hornet, 222, 223, 30-30 and 357.
I carried one in 223 over 12 fall turkey hunting for a lot of years before they banned the rifle for turkey in PA.

There’s 2 222/20ga for sale on gunbroker, and one 223/12 that I saw. Sadly neither of those will do as the rifle cartridge is the more important half of the gun, as it will become my deer rifle. I did see one in 30-30, but there’s a bidding war going on for that one, and I won’t win.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back