Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

combination/Drilling

Panda Bear

I currently bring a shotgun and rifle with me in the sled, canoe or snowmobile, but thinking about a nice combo to carry in the fall. We are allowed 50 geese, 25 ducks, and a couple of cranes daily so it was always easier to use a dedicated shotgun for this task and for the most part I will continue to do so---but-- I have been looking for a combo. It needs to be 30-06 or 308 and 12 gauge, as the rifle would be used for large game not small game

April has recommended a drilling, preferably a Keirghoff or to look for an older Winchester combination. She also likes CZ, but said to stay away from Baikel.

I would appreciate you guys giving me your recommendations for a 12 gauge/30-06 combo ( or drilling ). New or used .

What do you have or would buy ?

The blaser D99 drilling would be my first choise. It can shoot the riflebarrel varm and still group all day long unlike most combiation guns with solderd barrels who will climb up the target with each shot. This aint much of a problem when out hunting since the one shot often is plenty. Another thing about the d99 is that a cartrige like 30 06 will ekstract nicely beacouse of the way its built. On traditonal comboguns you are better of chosing a cartrigde like the 7x57r, the rim makes taking out the brass easy and fast.
Krieghoff is a top end drilling as well.
If you go for an over and under combination gun cz is a god choise. The baikal will work, every time but they are on the heavy side, a bit.. unfinnished and have hard triggers.

thank you. The 99 is a nice combo but they seem to be stuck on 20 gauge ( unless I am wrong and if so please correct me ) and I want a 12 gauge for geese and crane. I appreciate the information

I have received some more information about the Kreighoff that I like,

Noharleyyet found a nice one that I am going to check out even thou it is a 16 gauge

Dad said he knows of a Kreighoff double 12 , on top and a 9.3 x 74R single on the bottom that is for sale. He said it is heavy but since it is basically for geese hunting, you wont be carrying it. We are assuming the single shot rifle is for an opportunity large game kill. As soon as he gets home we will send you the contact information

Cheyenne I owned a Heym drilling back in the early 90s, one of the finest pointing guns I ever owned. You’ll get much use out of one.

Cheyenne I owned a Heym drilling back in the early 90s, one of the finest pointing guns I ever owned. You’ll get much use out of one.

Thank you. I think that Kreighoff has my name on it :) I hope you will be able to get to Alaska and I hope your clients will also, best of luck.

But most important, please thank your SO for her brave help during this time. She is one tough gal. God bless her and keep her safe

I will let her know.
We continue to watch what’s going on in Alaska.
Raven Air just shut down, the regional carrier.
The villages are trying hard to isolate themselves, understandably. If I remember my history correctly the 1918 pandemic killed villagers at about 4x the rate it killed people in AMERICA.
Commercial fishing will go on, at this point, sport fishing is still in question.
We will just have to wait and see.

I will let her know.
We continue to watch what’s going on in Alaska.
Raven Air just shut down, the regional carrier.
The villages are trying hard to isolate themselves, understandably. If I remember my history correctly the 1918 pandemic killed villagers at about 4x the rate it killed people in AMERICA.
Commercial fishing will go on, at this point, sport fishing is still in question.
We will just have to wait and see.

We hope you make it up here soon and that all your customers follow, which will mean the "restrictions" have been lifted

I will add my best wishes and admiration to the determination along hours she is putting in at the hospital. Please thank her. But I have not forgotten the 20 years you worked in SWAT either. Thank you!

My grandfather speaks well about the "drillings" and says he prefer's them to a "combination". I have never used one.

Drilling’s are fun, I used mine a lot on the big Island of Hawaii years ago. Hogs, deer, goats and pheasants.
Randi, I hope you and Gramps are doing well, might be a good year for you to run up and check out the Russian River if the crowds are light.

noharluyyet. YESSS I wish I had one !

Cheyenne . You are correct about the 20 gauge but there are other reasons as well, sent you detailed email and road map. My husband loved drillings and so they came and went. If you can afford it just get that Krieghoff, as it is perfect for you. The double 12's will let you goose and crane hunt and the 9.3 x 74 R will add the opportunity moose and/or bear protection. Actually it wont be that heavy. From memory maybe 8 lbs or less. I know you can pick up loaded 30-06 but as long as your grandfather reloads for you, the 9.3 x 74 R is not a problem. You should be at a point where you could do the reloading yourself and if your not, start learning. Also if this gun was for big game with an "occasional" bird or bunny, I would recommend a double rifle on top with a single shotgun on the bottom . You should have one of each. IMHO, of course

Salmonchaser. Drillings, Hogs, Deer, goats, pheasants, fishing, beach, and bikini's ----and you left Hawaii for what reason? (-; Let me also add my appreciation for your lady. When they called she was there. Please thank her for us. And thank you for all those years of going through doors without knowing what was on the other side, in an effort to catch the bad guys, thank you !

Yes April there were bikinis. She was Happa Houle. Her mom was a blonde blue eyed German her Dad was an island boy. She looked like a native girl except she had blue eyes. Long, long time ago. Still gives me the shivers.

Salmonchaser, Noharleyyet, Randi, Norwegian ( original responders to this thread )

April sent me information about a Heym that comes with two barrels. One barrel has a double 16 gauge on top with a 9.3 x 62 underneath. -the other barrel has the 9.3 x 62 on top with double 16 gauges on the bottom. Unfortunately there is no way I can afford it :(

Question for all of you who have combinations, or did. Do you use them ? Hopefully some additional folks have bought combination's since last year :)

Salmonchaser, Noharleyyet, Randi, Norwegian ( original responders to this thread )

April sent me information about a Heym that comes with two barrels. One barrel has a double 16 gauge on top with a 9.3 x 62 underneath. -the other barrel has the 9.3 x 62 on top with double 16 gauges on the bottom. Unfortunately there is no way I can afford it :(

Question for all of you who have combinations, or did. Do you use them ? Hopefully some additional folks have bought combination's since last year :)

I have two drillings (Drei means 3 in German, Harley). I utilize my 16x16x8mmR and have taken grouse & whitetail with it. The 12x12x9.3x74R needs some lock work done to it in order to get into fighting shape, but that gun is a 2.5" chambered shotgun w/a pitted but accurate bbl on the bottom. Gorgeous walnut stock on it though.

Personally, I'd look for a used gun. Griefelt, Sauer, Kreighoff, Merkel, etc all are reputable firearms and won't break the bank like a new one. If you find a good candidate, you will likely need to have a smith go through it to lengthen the forcing cones & chamber to fit 3" shells, so be sure to have the firearm inspected for feasibility on this. You may want to open the chokes as well, as they were often times chocked extra full on both bbls.

In a rifle cartridge, I think anything would work if you can get the ammo. The 8x57R is generally a .318 diameter bore though, so keep that in mind. The 7x57R is the standard .284 and the 9.3x74R is one of my favorite cartriges, and has a touch more panache than a 348 Win.

Ben, thank you for sharing this with me. Very good information. It is appreciated.

On a lighter note, you just couldn't resist, could you ( 9.3 x 74R/348 ) :)

But seriously, thank you

I have two drillings (Drei means 3 in German, Harley). I utilize my 16x16x8mmR and have taken grouse & whitetail with it. The 12x12x9.3x74R needs some lock work done to it in order to get into fighting shape, but that gun is a 2.5" chambered shotgun w/a pitted but accurate bbl on the bottom. Gorgeous walnut stock on it though.

Personally, I'd look for a used gun. Griefelt, Sauer, Kreighoff, Merkel, etc all are reputable firearms and won't break the bank like a new one. If you find a good candidate, you will likely need to have a smith go through it to lengthen the forcing cones & chamber to fit 3" shells, so be sure to have the firearm inspected for feasibility on this. You may want to open the chokes as well, as they were often times chocked extra full on both bbls.

In a rifle cartridge, I think anything would work if you can get the ammo. The 8x57R is generally a .318 diameter bore though, so keep that in mind. The 7x57R is the standard .284 and the 9.3x74R is one of my favorite cartriges, and has a touch more panache than a 348 Win.
No need to tell me a drei'rd time mein freundin...

Last edited:
Ben, thank you for sharing this with me. Very good information. It is appreciated.

On a lighter note, you just couldn't resist, could you ( 9.3 x 74R/348 ) :)

But seriously, thank you

Those 200 grain bullets in the 348 are a little light, you know. ;)

The 9.3 is a very effective round. 286 grain bullet at 2400 fps. Right in between a 35 Whelen & a 375 H&H. Great game round!

Yes, mine was the finest swinging shotgun Ive ever owned. The rifle got used a couple of times on the Parker Ranch on the Big Island to Shoot hogs we jumped hunting upland birds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back