Colorado's drought. Will it impact your hunting area?

windymtnman

Living here in Southcentral Colorado, we are extremely dry. The local news is all about the worst drought Colorado's had in recent history. It's not just limited to this immediate area either. Friends of mine on Facebook are commenting about their similar conditions too in many areas of the State, and Denver TV stations are doing news segments about it.
At present, the Forest Service has Stage One fire laws in effect in the Rio Grande Nat'l Forest and the San Juan Forest has Stage Two laws in effect. If they go to Stage Three, that may shut that section of Forest down, prohibiting entry by anyone. Currently, there's a Forest Fire over by Durango ongoing too. After an extremely dry Winter, we're feeling it's effects. My pasture in the mountain foothills at 8600 ft. elevation is burned up.
I've been up on the mountain nearby, and the Aspen forest seems okay, but then there is a lack of water there too. A month ago, I noticed the creeks and springs had flow that's more like late Summer, rather than early May.
So what does all this mean for the hunting season? Too soon to say I guess, but I think it will impact where the game is to some degree. I planned to hunt a great wallow I know of, but I'm wondering if it may dry up? I expect the Elk may be higher up in elevation, where the chances of T storms and water recharge may be greater. I also hope we're spared the massive forest fires. I already read a comment from a Bear hunter in Durango that said the fire there has wiped out his GMU he hoped to be hunting in.
I think the Colorado resident hunters will be attuned to the current conditions, but I can see where the non resident hunters that have their plans focused on the same areas they usually go too may be in for a potential bad surprise? At the very least, I'd be watchful of Fall conditions and wouldn't expect to be burning any campfires. Right now, it's illegal to start a chainsaw in the forest around here.

It's hard to imagine how bad it is down there. We had record snowfall and it hasn't stopped raining this spring. I hope you guys get some monsoons soon. I was thinking about coming down and hunting with my buddy who lives in your unit. I think I'm going to pass unless things dramatically improve. I feel like one thing is for sure, if a fellow can find water, it should be a good place to find elk.

Does anyone know what unit 75/751 looks like? It's straight north of Durango and I'm supposed to hunt their this September. If it's bad enough can they shut down the NF?

We'll be praying for the monsoon rains to kick in this summer.
Colorado is looking ok up here near Wyoming, hope you all get some relief soon . NM has shut down part of their forest already, big fire near Philmont.

Does anyone know what unit 75/751 looks like? It's straight north of Durango and I'm supposed to hunt their this September. If it's bad enough can they shut down the NF?

Others on here can give you first hand information, but it's no doubt very dry and yes, they can shut it down. They've already closed some of the NFs in New Mexico.

Just read about the fire in La Plata County. This is scary for the residents and is about 45-50 days early. I really hate to see loss of property and resources. I pray they get some moisture soon.

As for what the conditions are North of Durango, that is where what they're calling the "416 Fire" is. The news said they shut down Hwy. 550 for a stretch there, and evacuated about 860 some homeowners around there. We're getting the smoke from it over 100 miles away.

I'm 8 miles from the horse park fire in San Miguel county in unit 70. They got it under control pretty quickly. Back in my home area we didn't even get 4 inches of snow and no real rain to speak of since July last year.

I almost always hunt southern CO OTC archery elk, so I'll be there unless the forest is closed. Ironically one of the better years I had was in a terrible drought about 15 yrs ago, the elk were really concentrated at the very highest elevations. Everything below 9000 ft was parched. Not saying I want that to happen again, but something about lemons and lemonade.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back