MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

PSA . Leaving your hunt area info with family or friends.

hank4elk

OK folks there is a search out for a missing hunter. AGAIN. This is the 4th time this year I have heard this. 2 in this county.

Folks, leave your hunt unit, FS Forest ,BLM area you will be in with friends or family.
Veh. lic. make color info. Trailheads, drainages, etc.

Even I, with no family about and few neighbors, tell my neighbor where I will be hunting or wood collecting ,just in case. Or the SO.
I always have hunted and gone solo on ventures. My mom, my ex, some one would know where I was.

I’ve been way too lazy about this my last couple trips.
Definitely making sure the fam has my login info for onx and garmin before I head back out.

I always leave the name and number for SAR in the unit I’m hunting and have a set check in schedule via my zoleo

I try to remember to leave an OnX screen shot or two with my good buddy of where I'll be or my planned course of travel. Think my wife would be a bit overwhelmed if the time came to think about where I was, so I always just tell her, "if i'm not back by X on X day, call Sean, he'll know what to do."

I really need to get an inReach.

We are still active in SAR in our county. I’ve hunted in the same county for over 50 years. Does help to know the ground and how it might push someone regardless of where they started. But as noted it really helps to know the basics.
My epiphany came when I fell and broke my leg chukar hunting. When I got myself out of the draw I’d fallen into I could see the road 1000 feet or so below me. I had dressed light and had not brought any gear with me on what was going to be a quick climb, traverse for a mile and then back down to the road. In my case I had to get myself out or freeze as I wouldn’t have been missed until after dark. Now I keep a note pad in the truck with the basic plan noted. I also carry my In reach even when chukar hunting.

I always leave the name and number for SAR in the unit I’m hunting and have a set check in schedule via my zoleo
I am outdated, and never used any of the GPS stuff , which was new when I was active, closest I got to techno gear was avvy beacons on ski patrol. With all the latest gizmos out there right now, there really is no excuse for loved ones to have to worry about where someone is!

I’ve been way too lazy about this my last couple trips.
Definitely making sure the fam has my login info for onx and garmin before I head back out.
My innreach has also made me very complacent. Currently on a trip and called my wife and gave her my info good looking out @hank4elk. If I get lost in the Gila this year I expect you and Rio to keep a eye out.

I got an inreach just to have the “oh Shit” button. Turns out it’s a lot more than that.

The inreach message to follow along directs to a website that is paired to that exact device, and stays active until you change the device. If you hang on to that link, you can follow along any time the device is on.

So if you’ve got one, keep it charged, and keep it on. Might just save your ass out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back