Caribou Gear

Colorado Youth Late Season Cow?

Matt Foley

I moved to Colorado just over two years ago. Before last season, I had my two oldest daughters take hunters safety and have been excited to get them started with hunting. Last year I got them cow muzzy tags with the intent of also hunting the late season. when we moved here, we bought an old home and began an extensive remodel. The remodel took most of our time and I was unable to get out scouting. We got out for a few days during Muzzy season and for one very cold day during the late season. Each time we did not see any elk.

This year I was determined to change things this year and make sure they had a good experience. They both drew 2nd season, buck and cow tags on the Grand Mesa and I began scouting in June. I decided to do second season, because my truck is not 4wd (a fact I feel a bit emasculated to admit). I have planned for second season and possibly third season on the youth cow permits and all of my scouting has been focused on these seasons. I even had my dad coming into town, for a few days, with his camper and ATVs. All my plans fell apart when I had to have an out patient medical procedure last Friday. It is nothing serious, but I have been ordered to not lift over 10lbs and to refrain from strenuous activity for six weeks. That leaves me with nothing but late season cow.

I am not one to ask for help but I do not know what to do at this point. Most of the Grand Mesa units (41,42,52,411,421 and 521) are private land only. I can also get them tags that would work for the DeBeque area (22, 31, 32), which is what we had last year. I have tried calling land owners, this year and last, and I have not had a single one return my call.I will not be able to do anything but road and internet scouting up until the hunt. If anyone could point me in the right direction, it will be greatly appreciated?
Thanks!!!!

You've got 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th seasons to hunt with youth. 5th season goes through Jan 31 in some of those areas.

With the private land owners, now is not the time to be trying to gain access. Wait until the OTC seasons are over and then try again. Get in touch with the local RMEF members and get a network out there. Someone should allow youth to hunt...

The 2wd truck may limit your access, do you have any good friends with healthy 4x4 with chains?

Best of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back