Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado vs Idaho for OTC elk: the final answer

Sorry to hear about all the elk migrations from Colorado and the die off in Idaho, but no draw in NM. Colorado is closest. See you in November

The capped tag units are good in Idaho.

A couple months ago I thought general hunting plans would slow for many because of the virus, was wrong as apps in Idaho were up and NR tags are going to sell out the fastest in 20 years. Some seasons I've bought both a general deer tag and a whitetail tag. Might not get a chance this season if they sell out before Aug 1.

It don't matter which is best, unless your about harvest and not hunt. It's all about adventure and experience with emphasis on good memories. So both are worth the effort. Just my opinion I guess.

I know I'll ruffle some feathers, but if you can't shoot a bull in CO you are not hunting hard or you don't know what you're doing. They're like rabbits in that state. With that said, I'm talking about legal bulls, not mature bulls. Those are harder to find. As an example I took my teenage son along last year in an OTC elk unit that I had a 2nd season deer tag in. The success rate in that unit that season is about 10%. I let him elk hunt for 3 days before I started deer hunting. We looked over about 50 legal bulls in those 3 days. Many still bugling. Never saw another hunter even tho we were only about 2 miles deep. Seemed everyone hunting the unit was driving the roads ;) With that said, I did not see one bull I would be interested in. Biggest of all of them was maybe 270" ish. So I guess you have to decide if you're after quantity or quality?

I know I'll ruffle some feathers, but if you can't shoot a bull in CO you are not hunting hard or you don't know what you're doing. They're like rabbits in that state. With that said, I'm talking about legal bulls, not mature bulls. Those are harder to find. As an example I took my teenage son along last year in an OTC elk unit that I had a 2nd season deer tag in. The success rate in that unit that season is about 10%. I let him elk hunt for 3 days before I started deer hunting. We looked over about 50 legal bulls in those 3 days. Many still bugling. Never saw another hunter even tho we were only about 2 miles deep. Seemed everyone hunting the unit was driving the roads ;) With that said, I did not see one bull I would be interested in. Biggest of all of them was maybe 270" ish. So I guess you have to decide if you're after quantity or quality?
Can you adopt me and take me hunting to this unit please? :D

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back