Colorado units 12, 23, 24

Pat2522

Hello to all,

I am making the big trip this year to hunt the public land buglers during the second rifle season in units 12, 23, 24,. I have a mule deer tag also. If there is anyone out there with experience or info on these units it would be of great help. Tips, tactics, roads, areas, anything would be appreciated. Until then, good luck and shoot straight.

I hope you get some help for the locals in Colorado. I called the local biologist in that area, I am hunting unit 22 next to your area. The biologist also hunts and was very helpful, I will PM you has phone number and name. Leave him a message and he will call you back in a few days. Get your self a good topo map , forest service, or atlas like ( The Roads of Colorado ) which is probibly the best, and have it ready when he calls, he will give you some good areas to start, dont forget to ask him about burn areas, because the elk love the new growth.
Good luck with your hunt!

Hoggetter, could you please pm the biologist name and number as well. I'm going to be hunting in units 12, 23, or 24 during first rifle and would like to get some input from him. Thanks!

Waterman, Ya no problem, i'll send it over, thats what these sites are for, helping each other out. Just make sure you guys post some stories and pics. of your adventures over there.

I did a backpack DIY hunt there during first rifle season last year and drew the same tag again this year, so I'll be headed out mid October again. It's beautiful and big country. While some folks do kill bulls close to the roads, we saw more animals once we were 2-3 miles deep. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more.

I've never hunted the area, but I'll give you some general advice. Come prepared to hunt all day. No leaving camp at daylight or coming back to camp for lunch or arriving back at camp at sunset. Elk are going to be moving all day with the pressure, at least the first 2-3 days. You need to be out there, away from the road, hunting. Even if you just find a good place to sit and watch, it's better than sitting in camp.

That's exactly right. Our camp was approximately 4 miles deep and we spent the vast majority of our time another 2-3 miles in. None of us had ever hunted elk before, so it was a real learning process. We found that first and last light were good (as with most hunting) but we actually had a lot of success during the day. Where we were, the key was to look for the most inhospitable country, dark, thick timber with blow downs in steep ravines, and slowly pick our way through the brush. During the daylight hours, the elk we encountered pretty much stayed in the thick stuff, but were actually easier to locate because we knew they'd be in there somewhere during the day.

Back