Colorado Unit 75/751 Muley Hunt

NMHoula

Hello all!

Here with your typical "I need help" post. For a little background on myself: I'm from New Mexico and hunt/hike/camp at altitude regularly. I've also hunted Colorado (78/81/771) during the 3rd rifle for OTC Elk. I had tag soup on the Elk hunt but saw some very nice Muleys in the 8000-9000ft range. My buddy and I drew 2nd Rifle in 75/751 this year and I'm trying to do my homework as best I can. The "help" part comes in with figuring out behaviors and patterning during the 2nd Rifle. I know that 75/751 has a lot of steep country, so where are the deer at haha? Meaning: Am I looking at some timber buck scenarios at around 10k plus? Are they keen to drainage's or open slopes? Basically just trying to figure out the habits that you might have seen during the 2nd Rifle. Thanks for any help that you can give and good hunting!

NMHoula, I actually live in this unit(s). There are a couple ways you could go.....if you want to hunt the high country you can head to Silverton and hunt above treeline. If the snow holds off you might catch them before they start migrating. A couple places you could look are near Howardsville, head south, and there are several basins that you can hunt if you want to hike a ways. If you have an offroad vehicle there is some really good hunting near kite lake, you will also have to head to Silverton and do some backcountry driving but if you take the trail by the lake you can hike into the north side of the unit and hunt. The second option is is hunt the old burn areas near Villacitto. We see quite a few bucks roaming the hills. If you are willing to sit behind a spotting scope and do some hiking you can access quite a bit of country. Might need onxmaps to make sure you stay of public. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey Jkitchen, thanks for the heads up! I've been living on Onxmaps for the last few months since I haven't been able to get up there during lock down. We have a scouting trip planned in August just to start getting familiar with the terrain and most likely a few more before the hunt to start patterning the animals and the weather. I'll definitely have a look in the areas you've mentioned. I already had a look on onx and you're definitely aren't lying about it being above the tree's in the northern portion. Have you been seeing any good growth on bucks this year or has it been a dry year?

Its been really dry, though the past couple days it started raining. Haven't seen any studs yet this year but there are a some nice 4x4's here and there.

Its been really dry, though the past couple days it started raining. Haven't seen any studs yet this year but there are a some nice 4x4's here and there.

Yeah we have some family property over in Pagosa Springs and got some rain up there as well. Hopefully it keeps up!

Hey NMHoula. I am hunting 2nd rifle mule deer in 75/751 as well. So following this thread. If you need a hunting buddy let me know I will probably be tackling this solo. I was planning on trying higher and hopefully finding some mature bucks still up high. Due to an injury I will probably not be hiking in to far. I tore my ACL almost a month ago and scheduled surgery after this tag haha. Looking at a few areas I can get to with four wheeler access and glass and see a lot of country. Anybody with experience in this unit, is this a reasonable plan? My expectations of killing a great buck aren't very high, given the number of tags and ability to draw,

Hey NMHoula. I am hunting 2nd rifle mule deer in 75/751 as well. So following this thread. If you need a hunting buddy let me know I will probably be tackling this solo. I was planning on trying higher and hopefully finding some mature bucks still up high. Due to an injury I will probably not be hiking in to far. I tore my ACL almost a month ago and scheduled surgery after this tag haha. Looking at a few areas I can get to with four wheeler access and glass and see a lot of country. Anybody with experience in this unit, is this a reasonable plan? My expectations of killing a great buck aren't very high, given the number of tags and ability to draw,
P.m. sent

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back