Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado Unit 61/62

Assuming that I draw an archery elk tag for GMU 61 this fall, "Do I haul my Polaris ATV to Colorado?" I have heard yes from 1 hunter. I have heard no from another. I have never been in the unit, so I don't know the terrain or regulations. It would be licensed and insured.
Very useful in some parts of 61 especially if it is 50” or less.

Assuming that I draw an archery elk tag for GMU 61 this fall, "Do I haul my Polaris ATV to Colorado?" I have heard yes from 1 hunter. I have heard no from another. I have never been in the unit, so I don't know the terrain or regulations. It would be licensed and insured.
yes, a lot of helpful/convenient uses for an atv there, over 50" will restrict that some, but I would personally take it if it's not too much of a dazzle to drag out there.

Start here: https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

Scroll down left hand column, check boxes for BLM trails, Motor Vehicle Use, Hunter reference. You will see maps that show all open roads and motorized trails, including trails w 50" width restriction. Also unit boundaries, topo maps, campgrounds, water, seasonal closures which won't be a thing during Sept, and lots of wildfire mapping. Good luck, it is a great elk unit. Randy did an episode of his rifle elk hunt in 61 a couple years ago, it is on Youtube.

Start here: https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

Scroll down left hand column, check boxes for BLM trails, Motor Vehicle Use, Hunter reference. You will see maps that show all open roads and motorized trails, including trails w 50" width restriction. Also unit boundaries, topo maps, campgrounds, water, seasonal closures which won't be a thing during Sept, and lots of wildfire mapping. Good luck, it is a great elk unit. Randy did an episode of his rifle elk hunt in 61 a couple years ago, it is on Youtube.
Thanks for the link. Mark1 (2015_12_29 23_12_31 UTC).jpg

Very nice, glad you were in on that.
I wasn’t there for the hunt but I told them to call in they needed help hauling it out. We were glad for the burn a few years back because it would have been a lot more trouble in full sized oakbrush. A bonus was there were three dusky grouse at my vehicle when we got done which I took home with me. The bull scored 336 And change.

Unless something has changed, non-res hunters are required to get an "out of state atv permit" for their atvs and side by sides. To me it just seems like a way to milk a few more dollars from non-res hunters but last time I was cow hunting in 61 the wardens were actually checking to make sure people had them.

Unless something has changed, non-res hunters are required to get an "out of state atv permit" for their atvs and side by sides. To me it just seems like a way to milk a few more dollars from non-res hunters but last time I was cow hunting in 61 the wardens were actually checking to make sure people had them.
The Colorado OHV Registration Program fees fund trail maintenance, construction, trailheads, parking areas, trail signs, maps, and land acquisition. It also enables law enforcement personnel to identify and return stolen vehicles, encourages safe and responsible OHV use, and promotes respect for public lands.

The Colorado OHV Registration Program fees fund trail maintenance, construction, trailheads, parking areas, trail signs, maps, and land acquisition. It also enables law enforcement personnel to identify and return stolen vehicles, encourages safe and responsible OHV use, and promotes respect for public lands.
i could be wrong, but my understanding is that all atv's/utv's must have a trail sticker on Forest service roads & BLM roads. Not just non-residents. cost is around $25

Residents have to have a ‘permit’ too, we pay the same price as non residents. $25.

I already pay to register my atv in my home state, just like I do my car. But when I drive my car into Colorado, I'm not forced to buy another non-resident registration permit for my car to pay for maintenance, construction, and signs on Colorado's roads and highways. Just saying.

I already pay to register my atv in my home state, just like I do my car. But when I drive my car into Colorado, I'm not forced to buy another non-resident registration permit for my car to pay for maintenance, construction, and signs on Colorado's roads and highways. Just saying.
But you do pay tax on the fuel you purchase here for maintenance, construction and signs on Colorado’s roads and highways.

Back