Colorado Unit 53

To me the top one looks a little bigger than 210. I know someone this year who shot a 320 bull on OTC

Yeah I know a couple people who have shot those kinda bulls, they definitely exist.

As to the first bull 🤷‍♂️ it was a WAG... 2.5 year old bull

Thanks everyone I appreciate the info. What’s typical weather like in Colorado early
September in the mountains?

Thanks everyone I appreciate the info. What’s typical weather like in Colorado early
September in the mountains?

Varies, a ton year to year and part of the state. In that part of the state hot during the day and cool at night.

Shorts at noon, jeans and a sweatshirt at night.

This could make things interesting...

0d648c95b93aa9ead65e746f44ff21be.jpg

I think 300 is a great bull for CO, in a low draw/OTC unit. I'm not great with scoring... and not a particularly good elk hunter... so take this for what it is.

I think this is a pretty representative CO bull, eg this is the bull most guys take home. Not sure the score... 200-210?
View attachment 131847

This is probably the biggest 6x6 I will take in CO... maybe 260-265?

View attachment 131848

Had the antlers fixed on this one, and it measured just shy of 300.
View attachment 131849
Those are some nice Elk, congrats! You do some calling to bring any of those in or was it mostly spot and stalk?

I have hunted unit 53 the past 2 years. It is crazy how big a unit really is if you really put in the time to see it all. I know one particular mountain very well now and it isn’t in the wilderness and I have had good luck. The first year I didn’t get a shot but I was in elk and they were talking I could hve shoot a small cow day one but didn’t. The second year I went in very intentionally to specific areas on this mountain. Day one I shoot a bull. The thing about it is the trails will discourage you with people and I mean even the little horse trails . When you plan your days you need to get to a point and work across the mountain ignoring any use of trials . The elk are extremely good at getting into drainages that a normal person would say I can’t get into that drainage but if you take your time you can ! You have to just keep moving until you get a response or spot elk. This year I got crazy and went in on the north side of a Particular mountain went up and through the pass and dropped into an area on the back side that must normal people would never do because it was very touch terrain. I got on a bull fast with some cows. I was about a mile for the end of a horse trail on the back side even though I didn’t go in that way it was the trail I would use to get meat out but that mile was extremely tough. But it was my exit strategy to get meet out. It was about 7 miles from the end of that trail to my Jeep. But distance isn’t the issue terrain is. 7 miles on a horse trail is nothing compared to 7 miles of the trial. The point is when you get in to areas beware of other options for getting meat out that may be different than the way you got in. Anyways day one I went back and forth with this bull for a while he had cows but was responsive. He wouldn’t come in so I moved in to him while calling and using cover while him and his cows head to their beds. He would stop and look and bugle then turn and follow his cows. I got aggressive and used cover and got close enough to do some calling and get him to turn back I eventually got a shot. little 5 by 5 . It was a text book elk experience and awesome. Pick a mountain side hill the entire damn thing and you will find elk.

Attachments

• 1443B88F-5F24-46C2-8F2B-4F0BB872F3EC.jpeg
    1443B88F-5F24-46C2-8F2B-4F0BB872F3EC.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 30
I have hunted unit 53 the past 2 years. It is crazy how big a unit really is if you really put in the time to see it all. I know one particular mountain very well now and it isn’t in the wilderness and I have had good luck. The first year I didn’t get a shot but I was in elk and they were talking I could hve shoot a small cow day one but didn’t. The second year I went in very intentionally to specific areas on this mountain. Day one I shoot a bull. The thing about it is the trails will discourage you with people and I mean even the little horse trails . When you plan your days you need to get to a point and work across the mountain ignoring any use of trials . The elk are extremely good at getting into drainages that a normal person would say I can’t get into that drainage but if you take your time you can ! You have to just keep moving until you get a response or spot elk. This year I got crazy and went in on the north side of a Particular mountain went up and through the pass and dropped into an area on the back side that must normal people would never do because it was very touch terrain. I got on a bull fast with some cows. I was about a mile for the end of a horse trail on the back side even though I didn’t go in that way it was the trail I would use to get meat out but that mile was extremely tough. But it was my exit strategy to get meet out. It was about 7 miles from the end of that trail to my Jeep. But distance isn’t the issue terrain is. 7 miles on a horse trail is nothing compared to 7 miles of the trial. The point is when you get in to areas beware of other options for getting meat out that may be different than the way you got in. Anyways day one I went back and forth with this bull for a while he had cows but was responsive. He wouldn’t come in so I moved in to him while calling and using cover while him and his cows head to their beds. He would stop and look and bugle then turn and follow his cows. I got aggressive and used cover and got close enough to do some calling and get him to turn back I eventually got a shot. little 5 by 5 . It was a text book elk experience and awesome. Pick a mountain side hill the entire damn thing and you will find elk.

Hey Zach, I have hunted in unit 53 a couple of years back and am planning on hunting there again this up coming year. The friends that I am going with wont be able to go on the week that I would like to go on which is the 3rd week in September 19th-25th. My question is would it be better to go the week before that on the 12th-18th? or would it be smarter to go the week after on the 26th-30th? When you have hunted this unit before, when have you noticed the best calling was? earlier or later? I want to time it right to get there when calling is good. Thank you for your advice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back