Yeti GOBOX Collection

Colorado Unit 53

NoDakCL

Thinking about going to Colorado now for first archery elk hunt. This would be with an outfitter who guides out of the West Elk Wilderness. Anyone have any info or thoughts about this unit or area? Thanks!

I would strongly recommend West Elk Wilderness Outfitters as I have been on two rifles hunts with them and have nothing but positive things even though I did not harvest an elk last year. As for archery I have not been on an archery hunt but know that you would be satisfied with the camp, service and work these guys put in. They are in unit 54, but I believe might be filled for archery and you must draw the tag, but might be an option for next year. Most outfitters start filling up real early probably around January-February. Hope this helps some. http://www.westelkwildernessoutfitters.com/

I was looking at Elk Basin Outfitters. Know anything about them? The few clients I talked to had good things to say.

No, I do not, but I think its best probably to search around a couple of outfitters and talk to past clients before you drop most likely $4,000 on a hunt! I would also ask about hunting style as for archery the hunt will most likely be very active, but some rifle hunts might be more sitting along travel corridors.

I'd ask where in the unit they hunt, the South side over by Sand Mtn - Little Elk Basin has become a total cluster-F. There is an outfitter that hunts the basin, there is no way I would pay to hunt back their. If you can get packed into one of the more remote parts of the unit ~ 8-14 miles out then you are more likely to get your monies worth.

It's a good area. Rough and steep terrain. Going in on horseback will be much more manageable than on foot.

I'd like to go back but the guys I hunt with weren't pleased with how far it was from home.

I'd ask where in the unit they hunt, the South side over by Sand Mtn - Little Elk Basin has become a total cluster-F. There is an outfitter that hunts the basin, there is no way I would pay to hunt back their. If you can get packed into one of the more remote parts of the unit ~ 8-14 miles out then you are more likely to get your monies worth.
Sounds like about a 3 hour horse ride in so that’s a good sign.

Sounds like about a 3 hour horse ride in so that’s a good sign.

Your guy is buglin Bill aka elk basin outfitters... just FYI I know people who have killed elk in his compartment on foot... though it is decently far in. Still if you go with them you will have a decent amount of unguided competition.

I think Bar Diamond has the potential to get you the deepest into that unit.

Last edited:
Unit 53 seems to be one of the most asked about units on here. It’s good that you are already making plans and hopefully whatever guide you decide on can give you a good experience but like @wllm1313 already said, be prepared for some company.

I think there will always be the lone group that hikes in an insane amount but the outfitter I know goes i think around 8 miles in on horseback for archery so you are way back their

Wow thank you so much, I really appreciate the info!

Absolutely, huge amount of rule variability State to State and none of the states do a particularly good job at posting the details.

Biggest thing to know about CO is that you have to have a license to outfit (includes packing meat, camps, etc) in Colorado and that your permit is only good for a specific area. Make sure you figure out where you outfitter will be taking you and if they are licensed and bonded before you go.

Unit 53 seems to be one of the most asked about units on here. It’s good that you are already making plans and hopefully whatever guide you decide on can give you a good experience but like @wllm1313 already said, be prepared for some company.

It's a fairly popular one... although I've seen posts on just about every unit at this point. Elk hunting in most of Colorado is good as we have decent densities, but you will be seeing people, and you most likely will be taking a 5x5 or smaller CO manages for opportunity not trophy, so that means tons of 2.5 year old bulls and not a lot of bigger bulls.

Personally I think the best bang for your buck is going to be with a drop camp. It will get you further back than you could go otherwise and having horses pack our your animal is awesome.

I think there will always be the lone group that hikes in an insane amount but the outfitter I know goes i think around 8 miles in on horseback for archery so you are way back their

My last two bulls were ~8 and ~12 miles back... my biggest was like 1.5 miles. I think terrain plays a bigger role, there is an outfitter camp I know of that is only 4.5 miles but I certainly wouldn't want to pack an elk out of there, even with 3 dudes.

I would agree Colorado is definitely managed for opportunity overall for elk as most of the time we were viewing barely legal bulls and other smaller 5x5.

Absolutely, huge amount of rule variability State to State and none of the states do a particularly good job at posting the details.

Biggest thing to know about CO is that you have to have a license to outfit (includes packing meat, camps, etc) in Colorado and that your permit is only good for a specific area. Make sure you figure out where you outfitter will be taking you and if they are licensed and bonded before you go.

It's a fairly popular one... although I've seen posts on just about every unit at this point. Elk hunting in most of Colorado is good as we have decent densities, but you will be seeing people, and you most likely will be taking a 5x5 or smaller CO manages for opportunity not trophy, so that means tons of 2.5 year old bulls and not a lot of bigger bulls.

Personally I think the best bang for your buck is going to be with a drop camp. It will get you further back than you could go otherwise and having horses pack our your animal is awesome.

My last two bulls were ~8 and ~12 miles back... my biggest was like 1.5 miles. I think terrain plays a bigger role, there is an outfitter camp I know of that is only 4.5 miles but I certainly wouldn't want to pack an elk out of there, even with 3 dudes.
I was told most bulls are between 250 and 300. Somewhere in between there. Sound right or exaggerated?

I was told most bulls are between 250 and 300. Somewhere in between there. Sound right or exaggerated?

I think 300 is a great bull for CO, in a low draw/OTC unit. I'm not great with scoring... and not a particularly good elk hunter... so take this for what it is.

I think this is a pretty representative CO bull, eg this is the bull most guys take home. Not sure the score... 185-190?
1584733303229.png

This is probably the biggest 6x6 I will take in CO... maybe 245-255?

1584733535928.png

Had the antlers fixed on this one, and it measured just shy of 300.
1584733767343.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back