colorado unit 5

bhunt83

Hi I am interested in elk hunting unit 5 in colorado. Any suggestions on where to hunt?
I have hunted near Maybel and like the area, just looking expore a new area . Any help would be appericiated

I've hunted the eastern side of unit 5 several times. We've had some success there over the years. Its largely public land. You can probably imagine its a popular destination. Early seasons have lots of dirt bikers, hikers and atv riders. The area also gets heavily grazed by many thousands of sheep. There are some elk in pockets on the NF land. The key is finding those places that havent had five thousand sheep, six dogs and a sweaty hispanic fellow with a couple of horses trampling thru it. Good luck.

I've hunted 5 north of Hans Peak Lake, but like cur dog said, it was pretty popular. The best spot we ever had was camping on a forestry road that ended at a trail head. Then there were other spots that reminded me of Charlie Browns Its the great pumpkin.

I don't mean to sound like a real downer, but the area can be very frustrating until you learn those little pockets. There are animals there, it just takes some time and shoe leather.

I dont mind the shoe leather , it's the time that I am limited on
but thank you for the info it is very much appreciated.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back