Colorado Unit 49

Thanks, I definitely agree hunting solo is a disadvantage. Bow hunted Elk twice in Colorado. First time with friends, second time solo. I was in my early 40’s then. I wouldn’t do it again.
Nor will I.

Nor will I.
Hey guys, I agree having a calling partner is the best if you can get it. But I actually have had my best hunts solo. I think it made me put down the calls a little bit and focus on finding elk visually or through hearing and silently putting a move on them. If you are in thick timber this wouldn't work. But it can be done. Sometimes I think calling alerts them to a presence and they then key in on anything coming from that direction. Just thought I would share a strategy that has worked for me. Almost got a cow in 28 last year using that method. For some reason my bow missed.....HAHAHAHAAAAAAAA

Hey guys, I agree having a calling partner is the best if you can get it. But I actually have had my best hunts solo. I think it made me put down the calls a little bit and focus on finding elk visually or through hearing and silently putting a move on them. If you are in thick timber this wouldn't work. But it can be done. Sometimes I think calling alerts them to a presence and they then key in on anything coming from that direction. Just thought I would share a strategy that has worked for me. Almost got a cow in 28 last year using that method. For some reason my bow missed.....HAHAHAHAAAAAAAA
Looks like a good buck in your avatar. What did I score ?

I saw a few comments about not hunting solo I know its not for everyone and when in the back country everyone needs to know their limitations but Im 60 and still go solo I just dont go in as far as I did 20 yrs ago

I can relate to the solo or hunting with a buddy thing! I had a few friends I would bow hunt with in a heartbeat and they all had horses and I worked for an outfitter so I had horses, so whether or not I could get an animal out of the nasty stuff never fazed me! That being said, I much preferred hunting solo, meat in the freezer or not! It's just a beautiful thing, and I never bugled , by the way!

I think it made me put down the calls a little bit and focus on finding elk visually or through hearing and silently putting a move on them. Sometimes I think calling alerts them to a presence and they then key in on anything coming from that direction.

If more guys would learn this(how to actually elk hunt) and stop trying to learn to elk hunt off youtube, they'd really up their success, kill bigger bulls and the elk woods would be a much better place ;) Glad to hear you figured out one of the secrets.

If more guys would learn this(how to actually elk hunt) and stop trying to learn to elk hunt off youtube, they'd really up their success, kill bigger bulls and the elk woods would be a much better place ;) Glad to hear you figured out one of the secrets.
I still need to perfect it, but definitely have had some close encounters! If you get a bull bugling on his own I almost never call, just get downwind of the heard a sneak in. I have called in bulls and it is exhilarating, but at the end of the day I would rather eat some elk meat! haha

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back