Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado Unit 49

montanaelk31

Montana guy here, drew archery unit 49 with a buddy in Colorado. 4th state I will have hunted elk in. Love taking our "show" on the road. So we have a bunch of experience in OTCs and have done pretty well.. Feel like we can find where elk should be, and call them in.
Yes, 49 is a draw but its not like its a legendary unit or anything. Pref point creep was catching up. Coupla questions for those that have hunted it successfully over the years, particularly archery...

Pressure- how much and where was it the worst?
Would you recommend bivy or truck camping?
How much did pressure increase with Muzzleloader season, significant?
When was the "peak of the Rut" when you hunted it?

Thanks in advance!

Not a ton of help but had a buddy hunt it last year and shot a 6 point bull. I think he hunted almost the whole season but stressed the importance of knowing how to call.

Not a ton of help but had a buddy hunt it last year and shot a 6 point bull. I think he hunted almost the whole season but stressed the importance of knowing how to call.
Cool- the general elk population is the thing that attracted us to this unit. just worry about the pressure given the accessibility of the unit itself...Thanks for the info!

I've hunted in 49 before and the animals did act like they were quite pressured - and they certainly knew where private land was. How did the hunt turn out and how was the pressure this year?

Cool- the general elk population is the thing that attracted us to this unit. just worry about the pressure given the accessibility of the unit itself...Thanks for the info!
Hey MontanaElk,

I am also wondering how your hunt went? I should draw this archery tag this year? Just wondering if you had some do's and dont's maybe to share with us?

Kind of looking at 49 myself. Never hunted it. Was told it is very crowded with not just hunters but about every other type of recreational activities you can think of going on in it. But here it’s possible to kill a descent bull there. At the same time have heard just the opposite if your looking for big bulls I should look elsewhere ??? Was told you can find about any kind of terrain you want to hunt in it. Can’t confirm any of this it’s all second hand info if you know what I mean ?

Kind of looking at 49 myself. Never hunted it. Was told it is very crowded with not just hunters but about every other type of recreational activities you can think of going on in it. But here it’s possible to kill a descent bull there. At the same time have heard just the opposite if your looking for big bulls I should look elsewhere ??? Was told you can find about any kind of terrain you want to hunt in it. Can’t confirm any of this it’s all second hand info if you know what I mean ?
Welcome to HT

Welcome to HT
Thank you for the welcome. I learned about HT while researching 49. Came across a post that a member of HT made seeking information on 49. He was trying to choose between 40,49 and I can’t remember the other unit. But finally went with 49 and was going to post how he done. It was last year 2022 when he hunted. His user name is Croc239. I looked up the post that I read about him and learned he was a member of HT so I looked up HT and have joined hoping to find his post to see how his hunt in 49 worked out.

No worries. People get neutral responses when their early posts are about where they should hunt. That eases as they post more. Plus, then they can use PMs which is where most of those where-to-go exchanges take place. Seriously glad to have you.

No worries. People get neutral responses when their early posts are about where they should hunt. That eases as they post more. Plus, then they can use PMs which is where most of those where-to-go exchanges take place. Seriously glad to have you.
Thank you for your understanding. I am a older hunter (62) grew up more for necessity than sport ( to put food on the table).

I understand hunters not wanting to give away their honey holes. Am a lot the same way myself. However I sympathize with some of these guys asking for help who are trying to help out the 76 year old Dad or grandpa etc…, And most of the time will try to help them out if I can.

Thanks again for understanding.

Without any video it's hard to determine if this is the descent bull he was looking for or an ascent bull that gets a pass for a couple more years until he comes back down
Yeah! That would work, It’s a spike might be a point limit in 49 ? 4 point or above if not I would consider that a descent bull !!! 😉

Hunted 49 the entire archery season 2021. Yes, ENTIRE season! Solo. The area was recovering from the Weston Pass fire but doing so very slowly. It was very dry the entire season as in no water dry! Hunting pressure was pretty active throughout the season including muzzy season. Fair amount of recreational activity. Good amount of animals (saw the largest bull I've laid eyes on in quite some time, though). For 2021 besides being dry there was pretty much zero windy days and with dry ground it was like walking on potato chips. Had numerous chances at cows but didn't shoot. Very last day I had 3 bulls just above camp but it snowed overnight and I stood a good chance of being snowed in if I did not bail out. Being solo, I bailed. I would recommend the unit. Bulls were not responding well to bugling til very near the end of the season though. Archery hunters are really at a disadvantage going solo. Believe me.

Hunted 49 the entire archery season 2021. Yes, ENTIRE season! Solo. The area was recovering from the Weston Pass fire but doing so very slowly. It was very dry the entire season as in no water dry! Hunting pressure was pretty active throughout the season including muzzy season. Fair amount of recreational activity. Good amount of animals (saw the largest bull I've laid eyes on in quite some time, though). For 2021 besides being dry there was pretty much zero windy days and with dry ground it was like walking on potato chips. Had numerous chances at cows but didn't shoot. Very last day I had 3 bulls just above camp but it snowed overnight and I stood a good chance of being snowed in if I did not bail out. Being solo, I bailed. I would recommend the unit. Bulls were not responding well to bugling til very near the end of the season though. Archery hunters are really at a disadvantage going solo. Believe me.
Thanks, I definitely agree hunting solo is a disadvantage. Bow hunted Elk twice in Colorado. First time with friends, second time solo. I was in my early 40’s then. I wouldn’t do it again.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back