Colorado unit 41/411 OTC Archery Elk

isu22andy

I know these threads get beat to death and everyone gets tired of seeing them , but I have searched and havent found much info about this unit. While a bunch of it is private land ,theres a couple good chunks of public up along the mesa. I understand the mesa gets pounded by ATV traffic but was wondering if 41/411 was as bad with hunting pressure. Looks like plenty of water and harvest odds are okay.. Is there lack of exposure on the web for a reason ? .. Anyone help a first time Iowa idiot farm kid out? PM me . Wiling to take any advice I can get .

Too much traffic and too close to GJ and Delta for my liking. I suspect most of the harvest comes off of the private lands there anyway. I'm new to Colorado hunting myself this year. I prefer to hunt in isolated Wilderness areas surrounded by NF and far from big towns and interstates. That doesn't mean backpacking in tho. I setup camp as close as possible to the WA off a dead end road. Everyone talks about the other hunter pressure but by 9-7 after the opener most are going to be back at work and you'll have the place to yourself. Lots of country to hunt in CO. to be sure. If hunting in the dark trees doesn't bother you I've got a few places that might work for you.

I know these threads get beat to death and everyone gets tired of seeing them , but I have searched and havent found much info about this unit. While a bunch of it is private land ,theres a couple good chunks of public up along the mesa. I understand the mesa gets pounded by ATV traffic but was wondering if 41/411 was as bad with hunting pressure. Looks like plenty of water and harvest odds are okay.. Is there lack of exposure on the web for a reason ? .. Anyone help a first time Iowa idiot farm kid out? PM me . Wiling to take any advice I can get .
I used to hunt that area and picked a lot of peaches in Palisades. The elk always tended to go to higher elevation in the black timber when hunting season came. I am not sure, but I think they do the same in archery but probably found closer to their summer feeding grounds still. I always hunted rifle season and that was was back in the 80s so I am guessing on archery. They are in there though. I have a cousin who lives in Grand Junction and I sometimes do the St Baldricks event in Grand Junction. Never go though without seeing elk before I go over the pass going home.

Is the north side blm in 41 worth looking over? Was thinking about grabbing the third season otc rifle tag but also do some deer scouting. I’ve never elk hunted so I’m just looking for experience

Is the north side blm in 41 worth looking over? Was thinking about grabbing the third season otc rifle tag but also do some deer scouting. I’ve never elk hunted so I’m just looking for experience
Yes and no. A lot of roads are gated across private to get into those blm pieces. So it's difficult logistically to get in there but as you would guess, if it's hard, there might be elk

I hate my 2020 self for this thread. Never did even go to this unit for the future googlers . Actually never saw an elk in my OTC adventure .

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back