Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2018 Elk Hunt - Colorado OTC deep thoughts

bmt99

Does anyone else get a little jealous with everyone posting their harvest successes? Just me?...I am ok with that.

For those of you that may be like me, here is my 2018 elk hunt (elk hiking as my wife likes to call it).

We hunted for 6 days the second week of September in Colorado in a unit that had a minimum of 4 points or 5" brow tine required (important to remember). The temps were hot! High every day above 75 and WINDY. Swirling, changing direction, stinky wind. The first day, a small rain storm came through at 3 pm and 3 bulls bugled starting shortly after 4. Crazy steep area. Either way, got into them with some side hill action but never inside 100 yards.

Next morning, hunting partner reminded me of the minimum requirements on a bull. Shortly after, called in 2 spikes. 1 at 20 yards and 1 at 30. The one at 20 yards had his head behind a tree so I could move, do whatever I wanted without getting busted. Thinking to myself, real bulls don't do that. Also learned that I underestimate how good hearing can be helpful in finding animals in that weather.

Those 18 hours of excitement drove me the next 4.5 days. I piled on the miles on my boots, went to plans A, B, C etc. We split up and went to different areas previously scouted, no luck. From 8600 ft to treeline. Did not seem to matter. But had a lot of interesting thoughts when by myself all that time.

Deep thoughts:
- Bad Wind is to elk hunters what Trump is to CNN. I hate wind.
- Fresh bear sign is exciting when you are seeing very little even if it means elk leave. Odd thought but at least I understood
- Bull elk don't really exist. Fake hunts (news)
- What poops in the woods? Very proudly I think to myself "bears and me!"
- when it is 80 degrees, 25-30 mph winds, sometimes digging a hole next to big tree and taking a nap is amazing. Waking up with bugs all over you, not caring and going back to a nap should be a sign to get up and try harder.
- laziness with LNT (leave no trace) because you are frustrated and tired is not a good idea in bear country
- tag soup will not taste good, but it may be better than PB, honey and tortillas on an 80 degree day
- reminder to self: just because someone else trespasses or does some other idiotic thing, doesn't mean that you confronting them is going to change them and fix idiot. This is more true when there are 3 of them.
- does elk hunting count as a weight loss program?

Serious note though, I started late to elk hunting in my late 30's and am scared to think about the off season hours of study, podcasts, reading, videos I have spent. This is my 3rd season. First season, called in a calf/cow to partner at end of day. Found it the next day shortly after grizz did in Montana. We decided to be nice and let her have it. 2nd season...quiet bulls coming in and busting you is exciting but no luck. Hopefully next year (4th time's a charm) I may finally at least draw my bow at a cow or bull. Learning from scratch on your own is good and bad and hard. Good thing I am stubborn and my wife isn't on me about my $700ish elk tags that don't taste great.

You just described my archery season to a T! Brutal! I am going to frame this useless tag as a reminder of A: how hard elk hunting is and B: how much harder I need to work in the off season (not going to be easy to do) and C: even though I am very jealous of other success, I am still happy for them....(sorta)!

I was in SW Colorado from the 7th-16th on my second elk hunt with a bull muzzleloader tag. It was very dry and the weather was warm.

CPW wouldn't issue OTC tags if success rates were high....:)

Yep, if you kill one elk in 10 years, you will be average. You have to enjoy the hunt and keep your head in the game so you are ready when your chance comes.

You will never 'fix' the idiots, but a non-violent confrontation can change their behavior. They will never say, "You know what, you're right, I was behaving badly." But, they might not do whatever they were doing again.

You will never 'fix' the idiots, but a non-violent confrontation can change their behavior. They will never say, "You know what, you're right, I was behaving badly." But, they might not do whatever they were doing again.

^ Spot on. Met a couple of muzzy hunters in the woods this year that "forgot" their blaze orange. I wasn't a jerk, but gently reminded them of the regs and suggested a hardware store in town that carried blaze.

Yep, if you kill one elk in 10 years, you will be average.

^This. Elk hunting is hard, and it's extra hard with a bow. It looks me a span of 8 years to kill my first bull, all archery hunting, with maybe 3-4 seasons in there of really giving it a solid effort and the rest of weekend-warrior type hunts due to life getting in the way. I think the secret is to be on your toes all the time, because when a bull finally decides to play, you have to be ready to make it happen!

I can relate. I hunted hard for 7 days, lost weight, and had some great afternoon naps. I’ll be eating tag soup as well. MT tags are not cheap so hopefully it’s good.

I’ve eaten a lot of tag soup over the years, some by choice and others times not but it’s not bad. The memories are just as good as when you tag out without all that heavy lifting and grunt work. Enjoy it for what it is, an experience with nature. Good luck in the future. Oh I forgot to mention those were all non resident tag recipes also.

Back