Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado Unit 3 Elk (Youth Hunter)

22elkhunt

Hey all, I’m new(ish) to elk hunting and new to the HT forums. I took my son on an OTC bull elk hunt in 2015. We hunted BLM and he got a decent 5x5. It was truly an amazing time with him that I will cherish forever.

For 2022, my 15 year old daughter drew a Unit 3 & 301 either-sex elk for NW Colorado’s 4th rifle season. I am limited mobility due to a low back injury (my squad was hit by a drunk driver while I was on duty as a LEO), but I'm still hoping to make the best of her hunt. Does anyone have insight on who would be a reliable outfitter where I could access private land without paying an arm and a leg, or are there public ground options that would be sufficient in Unit 3 & 301? I'm aware that I will need to hire someone for pack-out on public lands as I cannot hump a pack full of meat on the terrain. We are primarily meat hunters, so any elk would be good, but a respectable bull would be a huge bonus! She also has a muley tag for the same unit, but that would just be a bonus experience as elk is our main priority. We had to choose 4th rifle to limit her time missed from school and sports, so the two of us are doing Thanksgiving in the elk hills! Any info would help!

Good time for that unit. Very open and lots of country. Can turn into an absolute war zone when the large heards in the multiple hundred hit the public though. Antelope hunted it last year and there were lots of carcuses close to the road. Not sure on outfitters though

Hope for snow to push the elk down. If the snow comes you can usually find some in the limited public land. No go on outfitters though.

There are a couple taxidermist in Craig you can call and ask. Bullseye and Moutain Man. There is also Brothers meat processing that may know. 4th season is when you want to be there and the terrain is easy walking. Just be prepared for snow and alot of it...and if you are it probably won't snow a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back