Colorado Unit 3 Archery Antelope?

On x will definitely be crucial. Most of the elk, deer, or antelope I saw, at least in rifle season, were gravitating to private land.

Last edited:
We rifle hunted that unit a couple years ago for mule deer. The antelope were literally everywhere. Other than the normal challenges that come with archery hunting an animal, I cant imagine it would be hard to harvest one there. I think in 5 days of hunting I can honestly say I saw over a couple thousand antelopes.

I've hunted deer there a couple times as well, but actually haven't seen many pronghorn at all. I do mostly stick to the hills though.

I have rifle hunted 3 for lopes before and it was piss your pants fun. Rifle is a gimme, but Archery would be tough and I would focus on water if you can find it, but may lead to private land issues, as that's where most of the water is. There's alot of lopes, alot of public. What's the archery tag take for points? Here is a rifle lope I took in 3. My son thought that was cool. IMG_0153.JPG

I'll second ishoot on his comments. I've not archery hunted antelope there but have hunted in that area. To land a unit wide rifle tag, you're looking at spending a lot of pref points. I have archery hunted 3/301 for deer elk; for antelope water will be critical. Most is on private land/leased state land but there are some water holes on public. You'll need patience and time but there is a lot of public land out there.

yep I've done it quite a few times If you are going to sit at water holes in a blind it can be a bit dramatic. Tons of tags given and limited public water holes. Last time there were threats, property damage, calls to cops, calls to wardens, blind poaching, antelope poaching. It wasnt much fun. ( it was a fantastic hunt until they printed over 300 doe tags for increased "opportunity")

Finally I realized while sharing a sandwich to watch an ant's fight over it to amuse myself that I really prefer to not hunt antelope that way ... never been back. Getting a buck was never an issue though if you could handle the rest of it.

I would call the local biologist. I heard blue tongue hit the antelope last fall in the northwest corner of the state so I would call and see if that hit 3 or what the severity was.

Thanks everyone for the info. I drew and I had 4 points but it was the first year I actually put in to get the tag. Definitely use OnX a lot and locating water is always key that early. May turn into a spot and stalk event but those are tons of fun. Water and public can definitely get into a high competition deal and since I won't be there on the opener I'll probably find a blind or two close to ever water source. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back