Colorado....unit 007 2nd rifle

JamesM

Have never been hunting in colorado, originally had aragments to hunt with some friends out there however theyre not going to be able to make it. I dont want to throw in the towel! I realize this unit is quit massive, making it more than challanging to locate elk. Anyone on here have any suggestions? Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

Welcome! I’ve never been there so here is what I can share for your research.
OnX is very useful with looking at terrain and game concentration areas, etc. I highly recommend this.
You can also use the map available through The state:

Welcome to Hunttalk! Why don't you introduce yourself in the 'Who am I?' forum, sometimes you get better results if your first posting isn't a query for info.

I haven't hunted unit 7 but I've spent sometime in that area riding quads and hiking. A lot of dark timber for elk to disappear into. I'd recommend finding good glassing points using satellite maps and using that as a starting point.

Welcome to hunt talk. It’s a beautiful area, enjoy your time there. Utilize Big Fin’s e-scouting with ONX YouTube video series to formulate a game plan and increase your odds of success. Good luck!
Thank you very much for your input! I’ll definitely look into this e-scouting.

OnX is very useful with looking at terrain and game concentration areas, etc. I highly recommend this.
I appreciate your suggestions and will definitely consider this. Again thank you!

Welcome to Hunttalk! Why don't you introduce yourself in the 'Who am I?' forum, sometimes you get better results if your first posting isn't a query for info.

I haven't hunted unit 7 but I've spent sometime in that area riding quads and hiking. A lot of dark timber for elk to disappear into. I'd recommend finding good glassing points using satellite maps and using that as a starting point.
[/QUOTED[

Thanks for your input, “who am I” will do. I’ve been looking at satellite images but this unit look pretty big, and honestly I have no idea with what I’m doing. Have never been elk hunting before, guess I’m gunna figure it out tho 👍🏻
Riding quads? Are atv’s legal in this unit during hunting season?

I’d like to thank everyone on here for your suggestions and comments. I’d also like to say I’m happy to be a part of this forum. I live in Va Beach Va, will be driving out with truck & trailer several days before my hunt dates. I’m beyond excited! Was very disappointed when I realized my hunting partners weren’t going to be able to make it. However I will regain my momentum and make the best of it 💪🏻 Thanks again to everyone for being so forthcoming with advice.

I’d like to thank everyone on here for your suggestions and comments. I’d also like to say I’m happy to be a part of this forum. I live in Va Beach Va, will be driving out with truck & trailer several days before my hunt dates. I’m beyond excited! Was very disappointed when I realized my hunting partners weren’t going to be able to make it. However I will regain my momentum and make the best of it 💪🏻 Thanks again to everyone for being so forthcoming with advice.
Cool, I’m just down the road in Nags Head, feel free to PM me with specific questions once you’ve done some e-scouting. Second season can be tough with elk hiding in sanctuary and lots of hunters but they are there. The bull in my profile pic was taken in unit 7 during muzzleloader. Happy hunting.

Nice! I just fished a tournament down there. You been catching any bigeye lately?

A word of warning, that area is pretty rough. I would suggest Rawah Wilderness area and you should be able to find camping near the boundaries of that area. Black bear is present in that area so plan accordingly. No vehicle traffic in the wilderness areas allowed though, least to best of my knowledge so plan on a lot of hiking.

Welcome to hunt talk. It’s a beautiful area, enjoy your time there. Utilize Big Fin’s e-scouting with ONX YouTube video series to formulate a game plan and increase your odds of success. Good luck!
Thank you for the input! I will definitley look into the escouting.

Thank you, greatly appreciate the insite!

A word of warning, that area is pretty rough. I would suggest Rawah Wilderness area and you should be able to find camping near the boundaries of that area. Black bear is present in that area so plan accordingly. No vehicle traffic in the wilderness areas allowed though, least to best of my knowledge so plan on a lot of hiking.
Sounds like I'll need to break my boots in!

@JamesM look into boot liners too because if any hiking will blister your feet, that area will. You might gain or drop 700-1000 feet in elevation traveling just a mile or two.

@JamesM look into boot liners too because if any hiking will blister your feet, that area will. You might gain or drop 700-1000 feet in elevation traveling just a mile or two.
If your hiking into the Rawahs, you better have your boots broken in and your big boy pants on. I killed a bull 9 miles in one time without a packer. He'd have to be a true monster for me to pull that trick again. I've since found a packer, but not sure of his availability for second season. You need to watch the weather that time of year as well before you go bull moose-ing up in there by yourself. The last few years second season has been mild but you never know! There are elk in plenty of other places in 7, but the Rawahs offer the greatest opportunity to liberate yourself from roads, quads, truck hunters, etc. Going back to the ONX statement and Randy's youtube e-scouting series, utilize the roadless layer and you'll see what I mean.

If your hiking into the Rawahs, you better have your boots broken in and your big boy pants on. I killed a bull 9 miles in one time without a packer. He'd have to be a true monster for me to pull that trick again. I've since found a packer, but not sure of his availability for second season. You need to watch the weather that time of year as well before you go bull moose-ing up in there by yourself. The last few years second season has been mild but you never know! There are elk in plenty of other places in 7, but the Rawahs offer the greatest opportunity to liberate yourself from roads, quads, truck hunters, etc. Going back to the ONX statement and Randy's youtube e-scouting series, utilize the roadless layer and you'll see what I mean.
Very helpful advise! Thank you very much. I just started watching E-scouting, very informative. You guys on this form are great!

Back