Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado SB 22-031 Ban on Bobcat and Lion Hunting

Sadly CO demonstrated with 2020 Wolf Reintroduction referendum; west slope citizens and proven model of wildlife management doesn't matter. If those looking to ban lion hunting fail legislatively; expect future referendum.

Thankful UT passed Proposition 5 in 98

Glad this was brought up - I’ve got some calls to make this week. Not sure I understand the logic of having more predators around makes sense (recreational activities) and I also don’t like the infringement by career politicians on my ability to go after game animals.

Why can’t we get more regs / politicians / game managers like Montana?? I want to hunt elk 9 months out of the year too!

The post above nailed it. If this doesn’t pass the legislature they’ll put it on the ballot. If it goes on the ballot we know the anti freedom potatoes will vote for it and pass it. If you voted for these politicians and the current political climate here I blame you. Colorado is commiefornia I never thought I’d be saying that 35 years ago.

The best thing would be to vote Kerry Donovan and the rest of these bums out but alas that won’t happen.
Despite the letter behind her name, I think that Kerry Donovan is a friend of ours on legislation such as this. She comes from a rural, ranching background and understands the need for predator management. I think the real fight on this issue will be at the ballot box sometime in the future.

Last edited:
Despite the letter behind her name, I think that Kerry Donovan is a friend of ours on legislation such as this. She comes from a rural, ranching background and understands the need for creditor management. I think the real fight on this issue will be at the ballot box sometime in the future.
I hope you are right and she doesn’t let this one get out of committee. However, with the crazy state of things in Colo I take absolutely nothing for granted. Will continue to make calls and send emails.

I ponder continually, where’s the line? Science vs. voter opinion? This applies in so many situations. Am I resting my stance in emotion and opinion or facts?
If you're trying to compare politicians and CPW staff, I think it's a no-brainer. CPW employs professional biologists to manage wildlife. Legislators pushing anti-hunting bills are not even pretending to care about the wildlife - it's a political move catering to the HSUS crowd. If the HSUS crowd has their way, the whole country will be like Rocky Mountain National Park where the animals are 'protected' until there are so many that we have to pay sharpshooters to cull animals at night with night vision so as not to disturb the public's sentimental nonsense (this is really happening and has been for years!).

I received a response from the office of Representative Amabile, one of the co sponsors of the bill. I'll call it a good sign, for now... as clearly, the issue at hand is apparently, in actuality, the more humane treatment of "big cats." Talk about a slippery slope...:

1642478027002.png

If anyone is curious what I said - and that’s not to say I was the magic guy who convinced her of course (this e-mail was specifically to the sponsors, my e-mail to the committee was slightly different):

1642478255172.png

Last edited:
More like accountants :rolleyes:
The biologists I have interacted with on sheep counts, bear harvest data collections, fence removals, etc have a wealth of knowledge and care deeply about wildlife. One of them that I know well also volunteers with a non-profit conservation group when he's not in uniform. If you have an axe to grind, that's fine, but I personally have not seen any evidence of CPW biologists doing anything but a lot of hard work to manage our wildlife. If you have evidence to the contrary, I'm all ears. They are just people and I'm sure they aren't perfect, but your snide swipes at a whole cadre of tireless wildlife professionals are tiresome.

The best thing would be to vote Kerry Donovan and the rest of these bums out but alas that won’t happen.

As @Oak said....

Judge folks on what they actually do...

"The bill would cancel reintroduction outright if wildlife officials determine that the state already has a “self-sustaining population” of gray wolves. "

"Under Donovan’s plan, a 'sustainable reintroduction, recovery and management plan' would include a wide variety of methods — including the issuance of hunting permits — to promote a sustainable population of wolves, and minimize damage to livestock and provide compensation to ranchers who lose livestock to the predators."

As received this morning:

Jake,

Unfortunately, there are those in the legislature that don't understand the impacts of changing an ecosystem. They also don't understand that these animals are along the front range and an increased population will mean attacks in the urban areas as well as rural areas.

I indeed will be opposed to this bill and will do what I can to educate my fellow legislators on the unintended consequences of this potential new law.

Thanks again for reaching out to me.

Thank you,

Jerry Sonnenberg
Colorado Senate District 1

4465 CR 63
Sterling, CO 80751
www.ElectSonnenberg.com

it's no surprise to me that rep amabile is pulling sponsorship. i'm sure she got lit up. she represents that quagmire of mountain rural, mountain not rural, lots of people, some high density, even more low density, lots of ranching, lots of hunting, a little bit of front range foothills, lots of pets, etc.

no doubt this will be a ballot initiative in the future.

As @Oak said....

Judge folks on what they actually do...

"The bill would cancel reintroduction outright if wildlife officials determine that the state already has a “self-sustaining population” of gray wolves. "

"Under Donovan’s plan, a 'sustainable reintroduction, recovery and management plan' would include a wide variety of methods — including the issuance of hunting permits — to promote a sustainable population of wolves, and minimize damage to livestock and provide compensation to ranchers who lose livestock to the predators."
Read it. Still stand by what I said.

I wasn’t instructing you to read it. I read it. I could care less if you read it. You don’t even live here. I will be dealing with their bs as I’m a lion hunter.
This is the attitude that leads to the erosion of hunting rights.

We are both posting on this thread because we are frustrated about the same thing. I have at this point sent north of 20 emails, and left a bunch of voice messages. I've also asked my friends and family in CO to call as well.

The only point I was making with the Donovan article was that that we need allies, all the political bs doesn't matter.

Purity tests are going to leave you the loser in this and all future fights.

I wasn’t instructing you to read it. I read it. I could care less if you read it. You don’t even live here. I will be dealing with their bs as I’m a lion hunter.

holy shiz man, get a grip.

wllms right. these attitudes ("these" meaning yours) definitely do more harm than good for our cause.

This is the attitude that leads to the erosion of hunting rights.

We are both posting on this thread because we are frustrated about the same thing. I have at this point sent north of 20 emails, and left a bunch of voice messages. I've also asked my friends and family in CO to call as well.

The only point I was making with the Donovan article was that that we need allies, all the political bs doesn't matter.

Purity tests are going to leave you the loser in this and all future fights.
No what leads to the erosion of hunting rights is electing these folks into state government. Do you see this kind of bullshit happening at the state level in Wyoming? Not even close. If the shoe fits.

No what leads to the erosion of hunting rights is electing these folks into state government. Do you see this kind of bullshit happening at the state level in Wyoming? Not even close. If the shoe fits.

so then who are we supposed to be mad at? the duly elected public servants or the people who elected them? the republicans? the deomocrats? the Commifornians? me? you?

is your only solution to the current state of affairs to hate kerry donovan?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back