Caribou Gear

Colorado Rio

Mudranger1

Got me a walking boot on Thursday and on Friday the wife and I headed east for the weekend. Got there in time to roost some birds but the wind was howling. Just as I was going to turn and head back to the truck a bird fired off.. Saturday morning came and we were up at 430 which probably would have been fine but at the pace I was moving daylight was coming way too fast so we set up a little farther away then I wanted to but it would have to do. The plan was my wife would shoot first and then I would be up. The birds were fired up on the roost with 3 birds gobbling. After about ten minutes we start hearing putting coming from behind the blind which was unexpected since there were no trees behind us. As fast as it got up on us it left in the same direction. The flock all headed the opposite direction from us as usual and the gobbles became less and less. Around 730 a couple distant gobbles came from the direction they had went and my wife spotted a bird on hillside making it's way back. As he came closer another bird started gobbling off to our left. At this point I had seen the 1 was a Jake but it didn't matter, I was hobbled and my wife has never shot a Turkey. Only problem when he saw the decoy he started skirting us just out of range. He hit the open field to our left and my wife didn't feel comfortable so by the time she made up her mind not to shoot he was out to what I figured to be 55-60 yards and going on. Pulled my gun up and cracked one off. He never even flopped, pretty good for what turned out to be 76 yards

39451.jpeg39455.jpeg39453.jpeg

Just as we got to him the winds picked up and the wife actually had to chase down the blind as it went tumbling lol. Heavy winds the rest of the day and we didnt see anything else. We went back to our blind this morning with 1 bird gobbling on the roost constantly. on the way in I thought I had heard 1 that was closer but since it never fired off again I just figured it was my imagination. We were getting situated and I look up to see a bird standing about 30 yards in front us. I'm almost 100% positive it was a gobbler just from it size but it was too dark to see anything and he wasnt there very long. A lot less gobbling today and the winds really picked up again around 9 so we packed up and headed home. good trip but I'm in need of some R&R

Last edited:
Congratulations

I've hobbled my way out hunting after surgery, but never with a boot and a crutch. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Hardcore getting out there with that boot! That's a bit of a poke ... you shooting TSS?

Hardcore getting out there with that boot! That's a bit of a poke ... you shooting TSS?
heavy shot triple beard 3" (5,6,7's I think) browning a5 with a redhead X-full turkey choke. I got to be honest I think the 2 birds I took out in Kansas last year with 1 shot were farther but I didn't range them I don't think. I guess I need to work on my ranging skills but the birds keep falling.🤷‍♂️

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back