Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado Ram 2021

rmyoung1

I hesitate to do this. It seems like a perfect way for me to jinx a sheep hunt is to post about it before it happens. Plus, I’m no longer a CO resident, so my one-and-only scouting trip just concluded. It will not be an epic, rolling account of a month in the unit like @Greenhorn ’s trending thread.

But… there are only so many HuntTalkers with sheep tags each fall. I really benefit from this community, and it would seem like a waste to not bring this to surface now. It’s such a neat experience to look over beautiful country with the intent of finding a good ram. So… here’s my sheep hunt thread… punched tag or not…

I drew the only nonresident tag in one of central CO’s high altitude units. The rams here aren’t known to be huge, but it’s pretty cool because it’s a genetically-pure sheep herd. No augmentation efforts have ever taken place here. And it’s some of the most beautiful, unforgiving country you could ever hope to walk with a ram tag in your pocket. I’m super grateful for the opportunity.

On Thursday (7/22), I flew into Denver to meet up with my good buddy. We overnighted in a hotel near our chosen trailhead, and the hike into the high country started Friday morning.

You haven’t jinxed anything. Thanks for sharing. What a productive scouting trip! Congrats on drawing a permit and good luck on the quest for a sheep!
Thanks @Greenhorn ! I appreciate it. You always get the most out of your opportunities. I’m trying to do the same!

thanks for posting this! Looking forward to how it turns out, regardless of whether you get one or not. Awesome pics. Looks like you made the most of your allotted scouting time!

I'm not sure what unit you are in but what I see in the pics are a good group of 3-7 year old rams. I'd be willing to bet there's a smaller group of 3-6 rams that are 8-10 year old hanging out someplace. Good luck!

Sandbrew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back